SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AuntiePam
September 15th, 2003, 12:38 PM
It qualifies as fantasy, doesn't it?

Who watched it? What did you think? Are you bonding with any of the characters?

I'm having a hard time with the preacher character -- I keep expecting him to start frothing at the mouth and screaming "What are you gonna do with your life?"

I heard someone say it looked like a cross between The Stand and Twin Peaks. I get the Stand reference, but not Twin Peaks. Maybe that'll come.

Shehzad
September 15th, 2003, 01:02 PM
The first episode was good; it has a lot of potential, but I'm waiting to see where the story will go. Good performances all around, although I kept picturing Nick Stahl as John Connor...

Hobbit
September 15th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Not arrived here yet, though SF Weekly had an interesting review of it. Said it was slow - took time to develop things and characters, but slow in a good way, as it wasn't afraid to take time to do so.

Sounds quite good, to be honest - sort of mutant Ray Bradbury with elements of Stephen King to me, but usually when I hear good things about a series like that it means the series won't last more than one season.... :(

HBO is also good - does that mean that it's without adverts? I can see a series like this becoming very engrossing and then the mood spoiled by a word from the sponsors...

I did like the 'From the Earth to the Moon' series they did a couple of years ago. If it's as good as that...

Be watching with interest!

Hobbit

AuntiePam
September 15th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Hobbit, yes, HBO is a "premium" channel and it doesn't have commercial interruptions. They're winning awards for their original programming, which includes full-length movies as well as comedy and drama. It's good stuff.

They tend to give their shows a chance to build an audience, unlike the commercial networks.

Shehzad
September 15th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Although I hear Jeremiah is wilting under studio pressure... but then, that's Showtime.

I think HBO will stick with Carnivale if it gathers a reasonable-sized audience.

AuntiePam
September 15th, 2003, 05:37 PM
What's Jeremiah? Haven't heard about that one. We have Showtime but we don't watch it much.

Shehzad
September 15th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Jeremiah is a post-apocalyptic show in a future in which all the adults have died and the children are growing up unassisted. It's written by J. Michael Straczynski of Babylon 5 fame. I missed last season but I've heard very good things about it. The new season starts October 10th, preceded by the Season 1 pilot. Might be worth checking out.

AuntiePam
September 16th, 2003, 03:11 PM
I'll watch for Jeremiah. Sounds good.

I was thinking that Clancy Brown, who plays the preacher in Carnivale, was the screaming dad in a Twisted Sister video. Anyone know for sure? I've looked at Brown's bio and filmography and there's no mention of it. I'll bet it was somebody else.

Shehzad
September 16th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Darn! Showtime is going off basic cable on Oct 1...

... might be worth moving to Digital Cable for, although the $20 for 125 extra channels isn't bad. Plus I'll likely get Showtime on Demand...

Also, never seen any Twisted Sister video.

NeonKnight
September 22nd, 2003, 06:52 PM
I read about this series in a newspaper article and it sounded like it could be good. I only saw a part of the first episode, so I can't comment on that.

I did see the entire episode last night and I was bored nearly to tears. Almost nothing happens besides the owner of Chin's commiting suicide.

This better start living up to the other excellent HBO series, (Oz,Sopranos,6 Feet Under) or they will lose another viewer.

Yawn