View Full Version : Underworld

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ouroboros
September 19th, 2003, 04:24 PM
(Apologies if I've missed an earlier thread about this)

Just got home from the opening night of this movie, here in Dublin.

Frankly, I was impressed with it. Initially I expected to be constantly reminded of Blade, The Matrix, Equillibrium and recent PVC-clad hi-octane slow-mo action fests. I'm not denying that Underworld is a cynically produced bastard child of recent hits, but it suceeds admirably in being a good larf.

Kate Beckinsdale serves well as an english (vampire) rose, and she does indeed live up to SFX reviews (which highlighted her shiny ass a lot more than her acting ability) as being quite a sexy heroine.

I'd quibble about her love-interest, though. So forgettable I can't even remember his name (Mark? Michael? Who cares...).

Stealing the show were the wonderfully old-school werewolf special effects and a suitably moody cintematography against a background of howling, full moons and kickin' sounds. (gawd, I'm really getting into review speak, here... I mean - 'kickin' sounds' ... I ask you ... someone shoot me now or I'll start writing for a college newspaper or something).

Overall, enjoyable wolf vs vamp slaughter fest with a hint of something a bit cleverer lurking in the background. I imagine the goth white wolf role-playing crowd are wetting their pants, and so are the Blade / Matrix fanboys sitting next to them.

...now where are my silver-nitrate bullets?

Shehzad
September 19th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Plus great soundtrack...!

Keyoke
September 20th, 2003, 02:08 AM
I want to know the song they play during the trailer. When Selene (Kate) jumps from the building, and lands. Suddenly, this tune kicks in.. I love it, but, what's it called? Anyone?

Keyoke

Oorag
September 20th, 2003, 03:23 PM
I thought it was passable, but ultimately a missed opportunity.

Good things:
Set and character design
Flashback sequences
Most of the final fight scene (except the end)
Hot chix
Rolling off the car was a pretty cool stunt

Bad Things:
Most of the acting
Mostly clumsy fight scenes
Low-rate special effects in general

Kanin
September 20th, 2003, 05:37 PM
I just got done watching this. I thought it was pretty good. I always love vampire and werewolf movies and this did a pretty good job combining the two.

Kate Beckinsale is Hot. Of course, who doesn't like a hot chick in tight shiny black leather with automatic weapons destroying everything she sees? I thought she did a great job in the action scenes.

I really liked the actor playing Lucien(the head of the lycans). It was cool when he expelled the bullets from himself. I like the scene where he meets Michael.

I thought the vampire Kraven was weak though. The actor wasn't very good. Plus his voice sounded very 80's Californian.

The fight scenes were decent, although I wish I could see more of the lycans. In some of the scenes I definetly got a Blade/Matrix vibe.

All in all, I would give it a 7 out of 10. I would watch it again. I hear they are already planning a sequel.

Keyoke
September 21st, 2003, 01:41 AM
I also enjoyed..

In regards to the effects, this movie has a very low budget, at 23 million dollars.. Seems alot, but, I guess it's consider very low in movie standards.

Of course, the movie will easily do that on opening..

Found that song too, in the trailer. It's called Red Tape by Agent Provocateur.

Keyoke

Hobbit
September 21st, 2003, 04:51 AM
In regards to the effects, this movie has a very low budget, at 23 million dollars.. Seems alot, but, I guess it's consider very low in movie standards. The publicists are very fond of telling us here that the whole film cost less to make than the freeway sequence in the Matrix Reloaded....

The lovely Kate has been all over the place here. Hope to see the film next week.

Hobbit

Kanin
September 21st, 2003, 09:46 AM
In regards to the effects, this movie has a very low budget, at 23 million dollars..

Wow!!! Only 23 million dollars!! The movie looks great for that low of a budget.

Just think, some films pay $20-$30 million just for one actor in their film.

Oorag
September 21st, 2003, 09:58 PM
Yeah, they did do a lot with their budget, but it also kinda explains the mostly pedestrian action scenes, IMO.

saintjon
September 22nd, 2003, 06:03 PM
Man, movie was allright.

SJ's cool list:

-Lucian
-celerity (yeah WoD nerd over here) implied the way Victor moved
-celerity in end fight scene
-big Werewolf who sounded like Death

SJ's not-so-cool list:

-Kraven actually said, out loud, in front of suspicious Selene, "What would Lucian want a human for?" when he's supposed to be dead by their little plan lol
-The whip guy. How could you be stupid enough, in a war against giant beasties who are big rage furnaces and regenerate lethal wounds with apparent ease, to have for your weapon of choice a pair of things which are only gonna cause superficial damage and basically just make your 8' engine of death enemy even more psychotically pissed off?