View Full Version : Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

juzzza
September 23rd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Just ordered this DVD, I have never even heard of it!!!

Has anyone seen it, what's the crack?

http://www.playusa.com/covers/127306m.jpg

Eurytus
September 24th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Haven't seen it although I am pretty sure it was on TV a couple of years back. However I have read the book and if its as good and imaginative as that then you are in for a treat.

Soon Lee
September 24th, 2003, 07:07 PM
IIRC it's a BBC 6-part story. Neil Gaiman wrote the script but wasn't completely happy with the how it turned out (especially the beast) so he decided to adapt the script to book form where he had more control on the final product. But he also confesses that the actors' protrayals of Neverwhere characters caused him to see some of them in a different light. The DVD story informs the book version.

It's good but I thought the book was better. Apparently, the DVD version has as a bonus, Gaiman doing commentary among other things. I'll likely buy it myself.

Hobbit
September 25th, 2003, 05:20 PM
I have a copy as an audio CD and a copy of the book. Didn't know they were releasing it on DVD, so it'll be interesting to see the DVD version - as it was originally filmed straight to videotape and on the (relative) cheap by the BBC, I suspect it may have dated a little.

Did you know..... the company involved in production for the BBC was Lenny Henry's company?

Hobbit

Bear
September 25th, 2003, 07:24 PM
I'm a little afraid to watch this. I really liked the book, and I'd rather not attach imagery I'm not really into to my recollections of it. But if it's really good, then that's a different story.

Soon Lee
September 25th, 2003, 08:34 PM
I thought the miniseries was good. The various actors did well in their portrayal of the characters. There was a nice surreal feel to the whole thing. The only off-note was the Beast sequence, which was not anywhere fearsome enough, actually not fearsome at all.

As I wrote earlier, the book was adapted from the screenplay and miniseries so it is less likely to contain imagery that differs from the miniseries. What I recall of watching it on TV was that it was true to the book, or is it the other way round.

Oorag
September 26th, 2003, 01:17 AM
The story is a bit too close to American Gods for me, but it's a nice yarn, probably moreso if you live in London. The production value is pretty low, which bugged me, but it holds up pretty well for what they had to work with. It really doesn't add anything to the book if you've already read it, so I wouldn't recommend spending much money on it.

juzzza
October 1st, 2003, 11:57 AM
Watched the first two episodes last night... Interesting.

It has that Red Dwarf/Doctor Who British feel to it. One thing I find Brits have a problem with when it comes to TV and Film is soundtracks. The show seems very empty.

I will keep watching out of interest, not sure if I like it yet.

Hobbit
October 1st, 2003, 03:30 PM
Music costs money, don't'cha know! :D

I do remember Hywel Bennett being good in it - but that's about it.

Hobbit

Kanin
October 2nd, 2003, 07:55 AM
There is a big interview with Neil Gaiman in Entertainment Weekly magazine for those that are interested....I wasn't. But that's just my opinion. :)