PDA

View Full Version : Note for all writers.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Ian W.
September 26th, 2003, 03:39 AM
A new site has opened for all writers who wish to get their work noticed.
It's called Writers and Writing, run by the horror author Steve Harris, he is looking for more members so I just thought I would pop in here and tell you all about it.
So if you want to upload your stories, find out about book publication, How to get your stories typed/edited - pay
http://www.writersandwriting.com
a call.
Thank you for reading this and I hope you don't take this as a spam post.

Holbrook
September 26th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Harris......... hmmmm prefer Herbert myself.
Read two of Harris' books.

Wulf, which wasn't bad, but found the ending a bit over the top.

Hoodoo Man... found myself comparing it with King's Dead Zone as the theme is similiar....

Sammie
September 26th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Moved to writing....

Sammie

(Edit: totally confused now - think s'one else moved this seconds before me, as when i went to move it it was already moved. I have a headache...:()

Eldanuumea
September 26th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Mamma said there'd be days like that......:rolleyes:

Briar Flea
September 26th, 2003, 03:49 PM
So where exactly is this?...and how did I get here?

...and who is Harris?

Naw, I understand where this is but I am curious, Is everyone at this site a writer? or are there some who are not?

As you can tell I haven't been everywhere within sffworld yet.

Still low on the learning curve.

BF

Rocket Sheep
September 26th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Dear Mr Flea

So where exactly is this?
This is a writing forum on a Speculative Fiction message board.

...and how did I get here?
How you got here is a mystery to us but perhaps you searched or linked thru from somewhere else (there is another thread somewhere in which the owners asks you the very same question) in any case all visitors and new members are welcome.

...and who is Harris?
Harris is a writer that Holbrook has read twice but isn't particularly keen on. Which is not to say Harris is not a good writer, merely that readers have different tastes and Holbrook's do not go the way of Harris. Harris is not endorsed by this forum but wonders if there are any writers here who would enjoy the services of his latest endeavour. Which may take off and be fantastic, attracting editors, or may just be a place to advertise to a captive market. That is for forum members to decide.

Is everyone at this site a writer?
Not everyone here is a writer but a few are. People interested in the mechanics and subtleties of writing discuss it here in the Writing forum. There are many fans of speculative fiction in all its forms: horror, science fiction, fantasy, books, movies, TV, comics, rpg, games etc and this site endeavours to give each person a place to discuss their particular interests in spec fic. This site would like all discussions to stay centred on speculative fiction and for everyone to get along nicely. But of course that is very hard. A playroom has been added so that those who wish to deviate a little may do so, away from other discussions. Those who don't try to get along nicely are not locked in the playroom, they are banned.

Still low on the learning curve
Don't worry. Elda's Mamma said there'd be days like this.

Briar Flea
September 26th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Dear Mr Sheep.

Thank you taking the time to enlighten me.

It seems I did jump threads. I see that I am now in the writing forums which is where I originally intended to go before I got caught up in the social threads.

I wish Mr Harris good luck.

BF

Rocket Sheep
September 26th, 2003, 10:41 PM
No problem Mr Flea, the mods were obviously fooling with you. Moving threads around. They do that occasionally... blatant displays of modly powers... a bit of muscle flexing. They feel it helps keep the members in line.

I would never abuse my modly powers in that way... and not just because I haven't figured them out yet... oh... OK... that's basically it in a nutshell.

Yes, we wish Mr Harris luck. It would be lovely to have a free place to display writing and hone skills while attracting publishers interest... seems too good an idea in many ways.

So Mr Flea, you are a writer? Or have you already mentioned this in some other thread?

Ms Sheep.

Ian W.
September 27th, 2003, 04:09 AM
In response to a question posed by Mr Flea.

Steve Harris is a horror writer who wrote a few fairly successful novels from 1989 to 1997. his books are :-
Adventureland (Eyes of the Beast in the States)
Wulf
Hoodooman
Angels

The above were published by Headline

Black Rock
The Devil on Main Street
Strakers Island

The above were published by Gollanz
Unfortunatly the publishers decided that there was no money to be made from Horror back in the late 90's so Mr Harris hasn't had any more books published since.

Briar Flea
October 10th, 2003, 08:07 PM
( please excuse the long delay, I was away and then busy on the home front. )

Thank you Ian W. Horror is not a genre in which I dabble, how ever; I have a good friend who is familiar with Mr Harris. She gives him good marks so I suspect that he is noteworthy.

Yes Ms Sheep I do love to write. I haven't tried to publish a novel yet but I have published a number of shorter pieces. I have and continue to write a great deal.

Please excuse this short path away from your topic Ian W.:)

BF