PDA

View Full Version : Is this a stupid post?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Forrest
September 27th, 2003, 03:44 AM
This might be a stupid post, but I felt like writing it.

I see a lot of authors asking about publishing and how to get in and how to do this and how to do that yatta yatta yatta. It's not bad to want to know these things. However, I feel like throwing a reminder out there for anyone who feels artistically vacant.

Write for yourself.

Write dangeriously, unapologetically, and with copious amounts of style that come from within yourself for the express purpose of entertaining yourself. If you have to ask yourself whether or not it's worth it to spend two years writing a book, then it isn't worth it. However, if you write demonically; if you are possessed by your need to express and shout and laugh and cry by typing words onto a page, then go for it, have fun and don't kill anyone.

Seriously, send your works off and hope for the best, but it will never ever ever happen if you aren't writing simply because it makes you who you are.

Terry Goodkind sat down one day and started writing a short story about some characters that had been in his head for years. That short story was called "Wizard's First Rule". 900 pages later, he submitted it to a publisher and the rest is history. He wrote for himself. He wrote it because his characters were telling him a story and he felt compelled to record it.

Have fun and do what you love.

[end random artsy fartsy rant]

Forrest

Erebus
September 27th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Hey, FK - nice to see you here again!

Another wonderful piece of philosophical advice, and I couldn't agree with you more.

If it feels good, do it!

How's your stuff progressing btw?

choppy
September 27th, 2003, 12:45 PM
It's definately not a stupid post Forrest. I think its a good reminder and it's nice to see support for this kind of thing.

I feel that my own best writing comes out when I turn off the internal editor. Besides, once you have a core story that's your own, you can always edit it after the fact to taylor it to a particular market.

Bardos
September 27th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Totaly in agreement.

Definatly not a stupid post. Most of the great work, actually, comes from "mad" people doing their madness.

And, yes, I declare myself Mad. :)

Forrest
September 27th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Erebus
Hey, FK - nice to see you here again!

Another wonderful piece of philosophical advice, and I couldn't agree with you more.

If it feels good, do it!

How's your stuff progressing btw?

It's good to see you too, Erebus.:) I haven't had the internet for a long time, but I finally got cable internet hooked up in my apartment, so I'm back on the digital drug.

My stuff? pfff. My stuff get's deleted every couple of weeks because I don't feel good about the crap that I'm cranking out. I write volumes of stuff, much of it not even fiction, but I haven't found the "write" groove yet. But I'm young! I have a lot of time to get it "write". hehe:D

Ah well, it's a fun hobby and it is a nice diversion from school and guitar playing.

Lucky Joe
September 27th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Absoltely not.

I get a little bit irritated when I see people giving advice along the lines of "Don't write that it'll never get published." or "don't write that it's been done to death." and so on.

Unless you've got that big publishing contract and are being paid too write to a certain publishers preferences I personally think you'd mad to tailor your work to anything other than your own tastes and whims.:D

Khallandra
September 27th, 2003, 10:17 PM
I didn't know that - I'm mainly writing at the moment to see what happens to my characters - I get some interesting twists that suprise me so much I have to stop writing and think about the implications of it :)
If someone else get to read and enjoy it - Bonus

KatG
September 28th, 2003, 12:31 PM
It's more of a lecturing post, I'd say. I agree with it in principle, but I try not to tell other people how they should write. Writing for the market seldom works out, but if people really want to do it that way, you can't say they will be unsuccessful or are wrong.

I do, though, get tired of people asking what's the right way to write as if they'd like me to write the thing for them. The only one who is going to be doing the writing, for the market or for the heart, is you and if you can't handle your own author's responsibilities, then don't bother me. :) Of course, what they're really asking for is information which they can then sort through, which is what we all do in life, so really, I don't mind so much. Write from the heart is a little confusing if you don't know what your heart is, or how to harnass it. Studying other people's works to see what they do and how they set it up isn't, I feel, betraying your heart and may help you improve your own skills as well.

Holbrook
September 28th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by KatG
Studying other people's works to see what they do and how they set it up isn't, I feel, betraying your heart and may help you improve your own skills as well.

KatG: as always you get to the point.

Fumbling my forward trying to write I have learned a lot of things. Two major ones. Read other people's work and write as much as you can in as many ways as you can. Jump POV.. all types of 1st 3rd and even 2nd. Just get the mess out of your head and on to paper. Then start to shape and form it. I find the "heart" is still there, just looks a bit different after the 100th edit...

Though it doesn't harm to keep in mind the word length of most and I say most publishers look for in a first novel. 80,000 to 130,000 yes, I know Goodkind's was much longer, but he is one in a million the change opf that happening again are small. Just when submitting, read the publishers blurb.. they don't write if for fun. Or look for a publisher that is "interested" in the type of work you are producing.

Writing does start in the heart, but there comes a time, if you are serious, when the head has to act for the good of both. least that's my opinion. And yes, the novels I have completed have come from the heart. One is a wild, long mess of a monster, which I believe I will still be editing when I die. But it was the first story to actually have an end... The second I am still very proud of it has drawn more editor's remarks than anything else I have written. It will get published one day and that one did come from my heart, but I had to use my head to edit it.

milamber_reborn
September 28th, 2003, 11:03 PM
I agree with you, Forrest, but on the other hand after a few rejections I've been learning the balance between entertaining myself and writing for an audience. First and foremost you have to love what you are creating, so I agree on that note.