View Full Version : Who's Doctor?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Hobbit
September 27th, 2003, 07:10 AM
According to material around on the web at the moment, Dr Who is returning to the television screens. To quote:

Queer As Folk creator Russell T Davies is writing the new series for the BBC. (That's good - he IS good!)

Jonathan Creek star Alan Davies is the bookies' favourite to become the new Dr Who. William Hill have made Davies 8/1 favourite to land the role of the doctor.

NOOOOOOO!

Alan Davies? ALAN DAVIES? It's doomed before it starts..... :mad:

Richard E Grant is second favourite followed by Sean Pertwee - whose dad, Jon, played the time lord in the 1970s. (Though Sean is a good actor, how shortsighted does this show BBC producers to be?)

Other names in the frame include Star Trek actor Patrick Stewart and Cold Feet star James Nesbitt. (Can't see this one happening myself - Patrick won't move out of bed for less than a million - allegedly)

And Lenny Henry is 33/1 to become the first black Dr Who in the show's 30 year history. (In other words, not a chance!)

Richard E Grant would be much better, IMO!

What do you think?

Hobbit

kegasaurus
September 27th, 2003, 07:21 AM
After the ill-fated movie made back in the nineties, anything has to be better than the drivel it was. As long as it holds true to the hokiness, then I'm sure that whoever plays the part will do a good enough job to outshine it.

Once again we will fly the plastic fantastic.

Vladimir
September 27th, 2003, 10:52 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1988/gallery/340/lenny.jpg
Lenny Henry would be great as Dr Who!

doubt this series will be worth watching, ever :(

milamber_reborn
September 28th, 2003, 07:50 AM
I hope it's Paul McGann or they recast the 8th Doctor for continuity sake.

Should be good since it's not American.

fluffy bunny
September 29th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Been on a doctor who binge recently- missed it 1st time around
It's back!

As long as they don't jazz it up with CGI or Americanise it (like at the end of the last series- eg the doc's meant to be asexual isn't he?)

milamber_reborn
September 30th, 2003, 12:17 AM
I was thinking about the kiss in the movie the other day, then I remembered that the 1st Doctor has a granddaughter, so he must have been with a woman before. I think the last 7th Doctor New Adventures book "Lungbarrow" explains his origins.

fluffy bunny
October 1st, 2003, 07:55 AM
speaking of dr who, does anyone know if these (http://www.doctorwho.co.uk/drwho/index.htm) are any good?

Gildor
October 1st, 2003, 11:53 AM
Richard E Grant will be the ninth Doctor, in ' The Scream of the Shalka' it will be something like 6 12 minute episodes, for the 4Oth aniversay but Mr Grant will only voice the Doctor i think as its an animation, part of BBCi

This was from SFX magazine, don't know the precise details

Hobbit
October 1st, 2003, 03:27 PM
Yes - there are audio adventures on the BBC website (with a view to eventual CD release, of course!) and the animations are the next step for these on the BBCi (with CD ROM/ DVD release eventually).

The rumours are for a new 'proper' TV series though.

Richard E Grant did play the Doctor for about a minute in the Comic Relief version ('Dalek bumps!') with Rowan Atkinson and Jonathan Pryce. Thought he was pretty good actually (shame about the rest of it! :)).

Hobbit

milamber_reborn
October 1st, 2003, 11:53 PM
Anthony Stewart Head of Buffy fame has been doing audio adventures too. He'd be a great as the Doctor in the new show.