SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

OgreWolf
September 28th, 2003, 08:58 AM
SPOILER ALERT

Was just thinking about something. In the Movie "Pirates of the Caribbean", the pirates have become ghosts becasue they stole the coins,right? And in the end, the pirate, uhmm. (don't remember his name. J. Depp's character), becomes a ghost too because he steals one of them. Then, shouldn't the girl (what's her name?), have become a ghost too? After all, she stole it from, uh, another name (Orlando Bloom). Maybe I've just got it all wrong...?

Nimea
September 28th, 2003, 12:26 PM
The curse is only triggered when you take a coin from the treasure, from that chest. Not if you get it second-hand . . . it has nothing to do with stealing, anyone taking something away from the treasure is cursed.

But, what I was thinking about: what about Orlando's pirate father? He took one too and after that he was drowned by the pirates . . . does that mean his un-dead body still hung somewhere in the ocean, only dying when the curse was lifted from the pirates? :confused:

Sammie
September 29th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Yeah this really bugged me. The guy can't have drowned when they sunk him, as he was cursed, so he must've just been sitting on the bottom of the sea for a good ten years. The sick sick thing is, if he was still down there, then when Will throws the coins in at the end, he breaks the curse, killing his own father. Nice. :rolleyes:

Keziah
September 29th, 2003, 08:18 AM
It's a movie, you're going to get inconsistancies (sp?), why was the ship cursed, it didn't take a coin out the chest? (and if it wasnt cursed how did it go so friggin fast with holes all through its sails?), Why did the cursed pirates sometimes bleed and other times not?
Will's Dad, the only way he should have still been at the bottom of the ocean is if the cannon squished him. I can't think of any more actually, so that isn't that many, though there are probably a lot i didnt pick up on.

But Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow could have made up for ten times as much as this. He is legendary.

OgreWolf
September 29th, 2003, 11:11 AM
The only way his father would have stayed alive on the bottom for so long is if they strapped an anchor to him or something. The other "ghosts" were perfectly able to walk where they wanted under water. He would probably have had time to walk ashore in ten years or whatever.

Ogier
September 29th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Well, at least one more thing comes to my mind.

I know this is nitpicking, but try to walk on the bottom of the sea with a boat turned upside down, filled with air and still stay underwater... I doubt that many of us would be able to do that without some serious weights on their feet.

Sammie
September 29th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Oh dear - i just can't bear to read all these again....people you need to look here (http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=24283). :D

You wanna scroll almost half way down the first page, to the post entitled *Stepping in everyone's salad*

Enjoy, oh nit-picky people :D

loki_incarnate
December 9th, 2003, 03:52 AM
and... if the pirates cant feel anything, including pain, why do the coals/bed warmer burn him in the scene where they enter the governors house after elizabeth while they trash the town?

kahnovitch
December 9th, 2003, 09:01 AM
I think the simple answer to this is;
Orli's dad was the one that placed the curse on the rest of the crew, including (unbeknown to him at the time, Jack Sparrow)
But it is unlikely he would have cursed himself in the process.

Steph19041961
December 17th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Sammie
Oh dear - i just can't bear to read all these again....people you need to look here (http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=24283). :D

You wanna scroll almost half way down the first page, to the post entitled *Stepping in everyone's salad*

Enjoy, oh nit-picky people :D Okay... I went to that other thread... and yes those are all good nit-pickings... but I must nit-pick the nit-pinking about whether monkeys can swim... They can swim... I watched a science program about it. Just because an animal doesn't have enough body fat doesn't mean that it can't swim... I know people that sink like stones if they aren't moving their arms and legs to swim.
All that other nit-picking was great... :)