PDA

View Full Version : Why use a couple of words when hundreds will suffice? (Long post)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jacquin
September 28th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Hi itís me again.

You might remember my last post here, it was somewhat longwinded and didnít really say a great deal except that I had been having trouble writing. I should probably warn you now that this one will almost certainly be much the same. It is just that I canít help but let you now I have had a new lease of life.

I have been writing! And not just long and debatably entertaining posts. I have started my half of a collaborative story with a friend and I dug out my novel and have added a thousand words or so. Now I realise this doesnít sound like a great deal, and compared to people like Holbrook and Enid Blyghton (I wonder why those two seem to be associated in my headÖ best leave that one well alone I think) it is indeed a literary pittance, but for me it is quite amazing. I have been working on my novel for about two years now and have managed the grand total of eight and a half thousand words. The problem you see was that it had come to an impasse. I had no idea where to go next. The story as I originally envisaged it had packed itís bags and left in disgust leaving me with a pile of largely useless words.

You may right now be wondering why I am telling you this, in all honesty I am wondering too, but I suppose the whole point of me spending a rainy Sunday afternoon writing this is to offer a little hope and possibly a suggestion to those of you who have spent the last few months with me living on the block.

I was given a book for my birthday. Not really a surprise to those of you who have ever met me, I have a lot of books and am trying my best to get them all. It is just that this book was given to me for a reason. It was a book on how to write a novel, and it was given to me by someone who knows quite how hard it has been for me not to be able to write. There were all sorts of useful things in there, but none of them were useful enough to get me writing again. At least they werenít at the time. One of the things it told me to do was to go out and buy a small pad. In this pad I was to write anything that caught my eye. From a newspaper headline to an idea for a story as it came to me.

I did write the idea for a short story, it sat there in my pad quietly fermenting until one day it burst out at me without warning. It wasnít a story at all, it was the second half to the story I had already started!

Now I suppose it is entirely possible that this story too will become disillusioned and leave me, but I know now that if that happens then it simply wasnít meant to be, I shall take my pad to a wine bar and seduce it until it finally succumbs and gives me what I want, another idea.

Yet again I seem to have rambled my way through many hundred words and I would like to congratulate you if you managed to follow me without deciding it would be more fun to go and watch paint dry.

J and his ever loving pad.

KatG
September 28th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Oh, I'm so glad! You were in a bit of a panic and it's nice to hear that things are going better. Of course, you'd best be prepared for a deluge. Now that you're carrying around a pad and writing down things that catch your eye -- a lot of stuff will be catching your eye. In a sense, you've just opened up your third eye -- your author's eye -- and it's going to get a little excited. But it will be fun and you can sort everything out later. :)

Holbrook
September 28th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Jacquin
, Holbrook and Enid Blyghton (I wonder why those two seem to be associated in my headÖ best leave that one well alone I think)

Huh? Ok... I might look like EB, especially with the bifocals and I write about fairies now and then..but....

The pad is a good idea. I have a mental pad for years. It took me a while to realise it, but all the silly everyday things people said and did, the way they scratch their nose or say something was all stored away.

Once I learned the trick of unlocking it, I found I could create characters. It took me over four years of trying to actually get the "first" complete piece finished. Even now for each finished story they must be at least 10 still born efforts littering the hard drive.

Some I cut and recycle sections of. Believe it or not J, "The Hat Man" was first outlined in 1998. Every character was there save one, It wasn't until the thought of the dude in the hat came into my mind, or rather he sat down beside me and started talking to me, did the story come together.

juzzza
October 1st, 2003, 08:08 AM
WOOHOO!!! Glad to hear you have had writer's block irrigation (yeurghhh!!! not quite as bad as colonic).

Looking forward to seeing your work mate.