View Full Version : Review thread

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dominus
September 28th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Here's a thread where you can post personal reviews on any games you are playing. Just put the name, platform (PC, Xbox, etc.), and whether you liked it or not, and why. Oh and rate it out of 10 or something at the end.

Just to get people exposed to new stuff....

Dominus
September 28th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Dino-Crisis 3, Xbox

Wow, I'm really glad I rented this game. The graphics and cutscenes in this game are beautiful, but if I wanted that I would watch a DVD. This action/adventure/shooter has horrendous gameplay. The perspective is a thirdperson view, which is fine when the camera follows you and you can move it at will. In this case you can't. The camera angle is based on where you are in the level, so you have no idea when it's suddenly going to switch from a side view to a back view etc. This gets ANNOYING AS HELL. The monsters you're supposed to kill, you can't see half the time (no joke). If the game didn't have auto-aim you would die, very, very quickly. This of course is boring, when you're just shooting, and seeing the elimination gauge go up, all while killing your thumb (the X button is to shoot, no R trigger for these guys). Then there's the fact that there's basically 5 different baddies the whole game (and that's including moving laser emitters and floating mines), which means that they try and liven up battles with even more baddies instead of some variety. Woohoo. The only really good part of this game is the booster (R trigger), which you use to move fast, dodge baddies, jump really high, and basically navigate all obstacles with. And as an adventure this has some platform jumping and the like, which is made a tad difficult when the camera suddenly jumps from 100 ft. away (at that point you only have a vague idea if you're near the platform) to right beside it, causing you to plummet (luckily I have yet to be hurt from a fall. I would tell anyone to avoid this.

2 out of 10.

Twelve
September 29th, 2003, 01:09 AM
Yes, I've heard bad things about Dino Crisis 3.

Well, I'm currently playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the Game Boy Advance, and this game is making me ignore my PS2. And I'm playing some VERY great games for the PS2.

If you want to play a game that is deep, addictive, and very fun, check this one out. It's a legend.

(Not the best review, I know, but I'm actually a real game reviewer, and I like to take a break)

Bear
September 29th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Can't write a full review at the moment, but I'll second that recommendation for Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced. The game is brilliant.

Iskaral Pust
September 29th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Xbox - Knights of the Old Republic
This is a fairly big game so I thought I would do it.

So Star Wars games have a pretty bad history, yes. Usually just your standard drivel of cash-in tosh. Well we have an exception. While by no means an unflawed game, it really is one of the best things avaliable on Xbox at the moment. First and foremost, gameplay is excellent, Bioware has managed to make a turn-based fighting system seem like real-time. The first major lightsaber battle will blow you away. The dialougue is also top-notch, with over 10000 recorded lines, the effort put into production must have been pheonominal, and it pays. KotOR really immerses you in its world, you feel that when you turn off your console life continues on without you.
One of the best part of KotOR is the amount of choice you have, it always is you who makes the desicions - not the game designers. The constant tug between Dark and Light is neatly represented by a scale and how your character looks.
Now come those nasty let-downs, and yes, they are there. First I was dissappointed a the length of the game, I was expecting something of mamoth porportions, however it should only take around 15 hours to complete the main quest. At time the frame-rate drops to shocking levels (really shocking). The loading times are very intrusive. The worst thing however are compliants of the game freezing up. This is a major problem - I did a bit of searching on the web and an awful amount of people have had the same problem. All in all prehaps one of the most polished yet unpolished games I have ever played.

Final score: 8.5/10 (bear in mind that I'm quite a harsh reviewer)

Macros
September 29th, 2003, 04:11 PM
F-zero GX - Gamecube

This is the first next gen racing game I've picked up. For reference, my last one was Crash Team Racing for Playstation. The trials in that game were somewhat difficult, especially the ghost tracks, but this game trounces that one in difficulty. You will literaly have to stop yourself from pounding your GC into the ground. However, the fun part is that it keeps motivating you to come back and try again, and trust me, you'll need to try story mode missions quite a few times especially at higher difficulty levels. Heck, by mission 3, even normal will make you feel like you're out of your depth.

The one boon is that you can bypass the story mode and go straight for the Grand Prix Mode. This mode offers three cups to compete for: Ruby, Emerald and Sapphire. Ruby, of course, is the cup with the easiest tracks while Sapphire, even on novice setting, takes a lot of skill to get down.

The tracks themselves are very pretty and varied with tons of eyecandy flashing by at 2000 km's or more. The craft are also varied with different degrees of physics allocated to each and if you don't like the original crafts in the game, you can always create more of your own in the Garage option. You will need parts though and these can be bought by beating either Grand Prix or Mission Mode tracks which will give you tickets to buy various unlockable goodies. All in all, a great game with an unforgiving difficulty level. I've barely even scratched the surface.

My score: 9/10.

Twelve
September 30th, 2003, 01:37 AM
I played much of F-Zero over the weekend with a friend...cool stuff.

I especially liked how you can change your acceleration and max speed settings before a race...really makes the large variety of cars fit YOU.

Dominus
October 3rd, 2003, 01:07 PM
Enclave, Xbox
RPG/Action Adventure

I read some good reviews about this game and I rented it, it doesn't disappoint. This is basically an RPG that is played as an Action Adventure, meaning that you control all the action, movement and attacks, which makes this much more fun to actually play, unlike KotOR. You can choose from several different characters before each level, such as a Knight (lots of health, all melee weapons, slow), Huntress (medium health, use of all ranged weapons and special arrows), Wizard (low health, uses magic staffs), and more. This is nice since some levels are made a lot easier with certain characters, though you can play any character in all the levels. Since this was one of the first games to come out for the Xbox, it didn't really didn't push the graphical limits or anything, but it is still a pretty game, especially the textures, which are very nice. The left thumbstick controls the camera, which allows you to see around you 360 degrees, which is very helpful in battles. Overall the enemies in this game are very good, in terms of intelligence. Every now and then they get stuck in places, but overall they can follow you, jump obstacles, and switch between ranged and melee weapons very well. In the first levels, the baddies aren't really tough at all, but in the later levels, some can kill you all by themselves if you don't play smartly. Which brings us to my biggest grip about this game, the lack of a good save system. Instead of being able to save periodically, or at certain points (I've only found one checkpoint so far), the game is saved after the completion of each level, which means that if you die at the very end of a level, you have to play the whole thing over again. This isn't a big deal in the early levels, but as they get harder, you find yourself getting very annoyed when you have to play a level over and over again. That is actually the only major problem I had with the game, if it had had a decent save feature it would have been a lot more enjoyable. Which brings me back to the game, it gets really hard. The really nice thing with the baddies is their variety. There's puny ones that usually stay far away and shoot at you, ones that use shields and melee weapons up close, mages that shoot magic at you (these become extremely good in later levels, they're the ones that can kill you all by themselves, since some of them can hurt you even with your shield up), and then some that use both ranged and melee weapons depending on where you are, which is very cool. Anyway, not only is there a Light Quest, but after that is completed, you get to play the Dark Quest, essentially doubling the game. There is also a really nice minigame feature, special levels that you unlock while going through the campaign, that are not only fun, but actually give you more gold to help you in the campaign. Very cool. This game also has really nice music that fits the environments and such, which is always a plus. If you're up for a challenge, I definitely recommend this game, it's very fun.

8 out of 10

Stewart
October 3rd, 2003, 04:49 PM
I am playing Enter the Matrix for PS2.

Overall it's a mindless game, it's the same beat the crap out of everything that moves drivel over and over again with the only really difficult levels coming right at the end.

This said however I can attest to fully enjoying every single minute of it. I have a library full of award winning, brilliant, games with deep stories and advanced gameplay and incredible challenge and quite frankly while I love these games to death (I have played through Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance 10 times since I bought) every now and then it pays off to just pop in this game and beat the crap out of some hapless security guards in slow motion (which by the way NEVER gets old).

So for depth I give this game a 6, the gameplay is pretty much repetetive but it does add a lot to the Matrix story because there is a lot of story in it.

For sheer fun I'd have to say an 8.

saintjon
October 4th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (PC)

Picked this up a week ago and I'm ready to cry over the fact that I haven't played it more. I've only scratched the surface (have only played as 3 of the fifteen races and only played those briefly, I have yet to play through a complete scenario.

So very good though. If you've played Heroes of Might and Magic (which I have for hours and hours) this game is kind of similar, but from what i've seen it is to Heroes what a mansion is to a house. Tons of depth and really good fights go hand in hand with this one (even a races basic units will have at least 5 little characteristics/abilities to set them apart). It seems pretty easy to run your town (the only resources to keep track of are mana and gold, and there you have to worry about covering costs, producing more, balancing mana production with spell research, etc.) there's a pretty decent diplomacy menu, overall it's pretty fun, and fun to watch. And they don't really matter much in a game like this, but the graphics are beatiful. The maps and units look like they put paintings over 3d models or something, serious eye-candy to watch anyways. it adds something to the fights to, watching your units skulk, charge or tromp around fighting each other. The magic effects even look nice outside of fights, so when you sit in your tower and cast wildfire on some stretch of map on the other side of a lake or something, there's a suitably devastating fiery explosion that wastes the countryside and damages units.

The only thing that's soured me a bit is setting up a scenario. It's pretty easy to just pick one and set up who's controlling who, but in Heroes it's much easier to change things around, say if you want to play a race that isn't one of the default ones for that scenario. In this one you then have to go into custom wizard menus and stuff, well, I'm sure I'll get right into that once I've played the game more anyways, so it's all good. it's not that it's bad, I just think it could have been a bit more streamlined.

9 out of 10

Soul Calibur 2 (I've been playing on GameCube)

1 on 1 3D violence has never been better. There's not really much to say that hasn't been said everywhere else, but I'd just like to mention that I love that there's so many different ways to win. It's liberating that if you like to fight with style, speed, brute strength or a nice long reach that you don't have to worry about not being able to find a viable character in this game. I've tried several, and the only one I've found I've had trouble thrashing the computer with is Killik (which is a letdown cuz I think he's pretty cool). So yeah, even if this game wasn't beautiful graphically, game-play wise and all that, I'd still think it was great just because of the character balance.

9 out of 10