View Full Version : Where to submit?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Slog22
September 30th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Hello Everyone!
I've been lurking around here for awhile and I've posted a couple times, but I haven't properly introduced myself.

To get to the crux of the issue, I've been writing for some time and have some short stories I'd like to submit to some publishers in hopes to get my foot in the door, so to speak. I've looked at Ralan's Webstravaganza and some other resources through Locus Magazine, but I'm wondering where to start. Obviously, there's mags like Interzone, Analog, Fantasy and Science Fiction, including webzines like scifi.com or strange horizons.

But are these places a good place to start? Obviously, I'm an unknown who has no prior publishing experience. So maybe there are some other mags or ezines that I have not noticed that might be a better/more successful first attempt. I am ready for rejection, of course, but I figure I have to get a some of those before I can get that magical acceptance one!

So, I'm wondering if any of you out there can point me to some mags that they have heard good things about or maybe had a good experience with.

Thanks a bunch!
Slog22

juzzza
September 30th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Hello Slog22,

Welcome to the writing section and SFFWORLD :)

I think you are going about it pretty much the right way with RALAN. You need to compile a list of publications that you think will suit your style and chosen genre of writing. Even better, is to buy a few to make sure it is a suitable market. This has the secondary and important action of supporting the indy press as well as the primary action of making sure your story sits well in that mag.

Ralan is good because as well as the pro and paying markets, there is a 'for the love of it' listing. Only you or those whe have read your work can say if it is good enough but mate, shoot for the stars I always say so you go for the mags you mentioned with shameless confidence... Works for me ;)

I would also recommend The Fix, available from ttapress.com as it reviews every short fiction mag dedicated to SF&F out there and provides the editors name and address, very useful for the writer.

Any start, is a good place to start. The folks over at Here & Now Magazine are gems and are always happy to receive QUALITY short fiction, always read submission guidelines though.

Juzzza