PDA

View Full Version : Overdue submissions

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pdb
October 9th, 2003, 09:05 AM
What do you do when you have submitted a MS and they fail to respond in the return time that they state in their guidelines.

Do you contact them, or would that seem pushy, then again, if you don't how will you ever knew that it wasn't just lost in the post?

If you do, just how do you word it?

I would like to try sending it out to someone else, but what if the first one responds when I do?

What a dilema:)

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

juzzza
October 9th, 2003, 10:31 AM
What do you do when you have submitted a MS and they fail to respond in the return time that they state in their guidelines.

Assume they are not interested.

Do you contact them, or would that seem pushy, then again, if you don't how will you ever knew that it wasn't just lost in the post?

You can ask them to confirm receipt by enclosing a postage paid self-addressed envelope. I also don't think it is too cheeky asking them to email you if it was received.

If you do, just how do you word it?

Dear X, x weeks ago I submitted my tale xxx for your consideration. As I have not heard from you I am concerned that my submission was not received and I would be grateful if you could confirm if this is the case. I appreciate that you are busy and if I do not hear from you, I will assume that you are not interested, thank you for your time and kind regards xxx

I would like to try sending it out to someone else, but what if the first one responds when I do?

So what!!! Do it anyway.

What a dilema

Any help or advice would be appreciated

pdb
October 9th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Thanks Juzzza:)

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but as I'm new at this I though I'd best check what the etiquette is :)

pdb

juzzza
October 9th, 2003, 10:59 AM
My pleasure mate.

KatG
October 9th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Actually, if you don't hear from them within the response period, it may just mean that they're running behind. If you can, call or email, be brief and polite and just ask about the status of your submission. If you can't call or email, send a short letter or postcard asking about the status of your submission. If they are running behind, expect a delay in getting back to you in response to an email or letter.

In the meantime, you can go ahead and send the work out to someone else, since you've given them their requested exclusvie period.

pdb
October 10th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks all,

I finally decided on a polite query as to whether or not they had received it and if they had what the status is.

I will now pick out my next victim, er publication, to submit to while I wait for a reply

pd

milamber_reborn
October 11th, 2003, 12:36 AM
I sent a short to Aurealis (3-4 month turnover). After 4 months it was December and they don't read submissions over December/January. Into February and still no reply so I sent a query email. One month later, a reply. So it took over half a year in the end. Can't imagine how long it would have taken if not for the query. BTW, I sent them another two months ago. Let's see how long they take this year.

Check the website if they have one to find out about their querying protocol.

milamber_reborn
October 14th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Just recieved a rejection on the story today. Took them less than 3 months this time, thank goodness. Unfortunately, if I send them another now it won't be read until next year.

primemover
October 29th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Today I read about this guy who recently got a submission back that was nine years old!

Nine years! The magazine no longer existed by the time he got it back.