View Full Version : Why?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jacquin
October 10th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Ok, so I can safely assume that if you are reading this post you are a writer. You could be like I was for a long time and just want to be a writer but the question of course is why?

What makes you put pen to paper, or fire up the laptop, why do you keep coming back to the same story hoping to get it finished one day. Why do you keep sending things off to publishers when they only ever send rejection slips?

For me there are a few reasons...

Firstly I write because I love to create things. I love to take a concept or a picture in my mind and give it form.

I am also very vain, I love to see my name in print. It has happened very rarely so far but one day it will be more common. Ok I'd love to have Stephen King's money (actually I'd like my own but that's just me being pedantic) but it's not about that, its about seeing someone reading my book.

There's a lot more to it than that but I don't have time to go into too much depth right now.

I'll do my best to explain properly when I'm not at work!

J

Erebus
October 10th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Ah yes, the age old question: why do we write?

Well, for me at least, the answer is simple: I enjoy doing so in the hope that others may also enjoy what I have written.

That's it, pure and simple and for no other reason. Enjoyment is paramount.

Sure, I have sold books right around the world, made and met (via the Internet of course) some great and loyal fans, and, even made some pocket money along the way. But the money was never an issue; it's always the fun and enjoyment aspect of challenging myself to create an enjoyable-to-read piece of speculative fiction. Hopefully I'll get good at it one day! ;)

juzzza
October 10th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Hmmm, well as I first fired up an Amiga 2000 word processing package (laptops did not exist then) almost 11 years ago, my drive to 'WRITE' has changed over time.

I have always had a vivid imagination, my teachers used to tell my mother so, and writing was always a good outlet.

However, when I was in my late teens I was tired of waiting for the next book to come out by my favourite fantasy writer and wondered if I could do it... Write a good book that is. So I set it almost as a personal challenge. That's another thing about me apart from being creative, I like to challenge myself or put myself in situations to see how I cope.

I got the writing bug and have progressed from there. I too craved the glow of seeing my name in print and of course fantasize about the money that so few writers ever actually attain.

I think deep down I would just love to do this for a living. After all, I would have no boss, can live and work anywhere in the world and although your name can become well known, most writers could bump into you in the street, spit in your face and you would have no idea it was Dean Koontz who just flobbed at you and called you a pr*ck, before running off to catch a train!!! Perfect job for me (writing that is, not rushing around spitting at people).

It's also a bit romantic isn't it? "What do you do for a living?" asked the stunning girl at the party. "I'm a writer," I replied.

Or you're on a train and across from you someone is reading your book. You smile and say above the chuck chuck, chuck chuk of the train "I wrote that... Worship me"

Clearly I am far more selfish than Erebus, just look at the contrast in reasons. Of course I enjoy it and to be successful others would have to as well however, their enjoyment means I get to live the life I desire and my ego gets the boost it desires, EVERYONE is then happy.

Pollux V
October 10th, 2003, 10:47 AM
I'm a crazy, naive almost-sixteen year old Junior male living in Maine, that fertile breeding place of prolific writers. I drove by Steven King's house once, I think:cool:, and I believe either Thoreau or Longfellow lived here. Lovecraft probably visited the state at least once, he was into the whole New-England thing, I guess.

I write because I enjoy it. It's a hobby that I can learn from, and a skill that most westerners should be at least have some skill in. I don't spend enough time writing, social activities such as eating for free at the local mexican restaraunt and farting thereafter get in the way. Along the greater scheme of things I'd like to use it as a platform for getting into politics, freeing the working man etcetera etcetera, but like I said--I'm pretty naive.

aftermath
October 10th, 2003, 12:00 PM
I started writing for the simple reason just to show up my friend who had the highest marks in my english class. well, i showed him up and ever since i wrote that opening to a novel, i dunno 6 months ago, I have been working on it since. if it wasn't for work or school (thank god im in grade 12. hopefully i can publish it before i graduate) i would prob be finished writing it. oh, slow it is to write a bloody novel. :>

i'd also love to see a kid walking down the road with a book in their hand. mwhahahaha

Rocket Sheep
October 10th, 2003, 07:35 PM
If I didn't write, I'd paint or draw or sculpt or macrame or something. I just have a creative urge.

Writing suits me because I'm rapt with the idea that I can create characters and whole universes from nothing and share them with people and make people think and if they aren't perfect the first time I create them, I can edit. I love to edit. I wish when I speak all scrambly to people that I could edit my voice before they hear it and replace all the thingie words for more precise words that convey what I mean to convey when I open my big jumbly mouth and blurt out something incomprehensible the first time... er... if you know what I mean...

Briar Flea
October 11th, 2003, 12:55 AM
I was a hyper child who created vivid, and very detailed stories while playing. This still continues, only the play has changed. Back some years ago it occured to me to start writing down some of these stories and dialoges which stream from my mind. I discovered that I love to write. Writing has become part of who I am. Never with out a pen and a pocket journal, in the course of a year, I fill many little books. From these have come things which have been published such as poetry, short stories, letters and essays, but also several pet projects including a trilogy which are nearing completion. ( I write by hand and rewrite with computer.)

For some reason I place the writing awards I have won above all other accomplisments, so maybe I want to see my name in lights. Oddly, I have a comfortable life and can not seem to bring myself to send in any larger works, probably because I always feel I can improve what I have done.

So to answer "why?" I write because I must.

BF

and yes Ms Sheep, I too wish my mind and tongue were not wired together.

Rocket Sheep
October 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Briar Flea

and yes Ms Sheep, I too wish my mind and tongue were not wired together.

You see, I could've used that succinct metaphor... had I edited...

Briar Flea
October 11th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Honest, my edit was just for a misspelled word. :D

BF

milamber_reborn
October 12th, 2003, 02:18 AM
Why not?

It was only about 5-6 years ago I started reading fantasy. It was less than three years ago when I dove head-first into writing at age 18. Now I can't imagine not writing.