PDA

View Full Version : So what sends chills up your spine?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

AuntiePam
March 26th, 2004, 12:45 PM
That's okay, skinsfan. :)

Now's your chance to answer your own question? What scares you?

Evil Agent
March 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM
For me, anything with little kids... evil kids... ghosts of kids... little dead girls walking around... kids with no eyes... etc. etc.:eek:

Iskaral Pust
March 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Like some other people have mentioned it's the everyday situations that a master can make truely terrifying. Peter Straub is one of the best at this in my opinion. One short story that really chilled me was Details by China Mieville, itwas just so fantastically written and the very idea behind it was so plausible.

skinsfan
March 29th, 2004, 12:10 AM
I guess what scares me is not knowing. Meaning, when i come home from work late at night, find the T.V. on and no one home. No kids, no wife, and no note to indicate that theyr'e safe. Then you sit up for what seems like hours pacing and watching by the window. Each passing car encourages your thoughts into thinking something bad has happened. Then you start calling around and no one knows anything. Sure they try to assure you everything is ok, but until you know for sure it eats at you. What do you do if their gone? How will you survive without them? Just when you think that you will blow your stack, they show up. You don't care where they were at that point, only that their safe. That's what scares me.

fluffy bunny
October 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
I guess a good writer can make anything scary.

Genrewise, I guess the subject matter isn't quite so important to me. Some authors write a lot of pulp, some of which is played for laughs rather than being intended to be scary. Some authors can really rack up the tension and hold you to the edge of your seat, so the slightest revelation can be memorable. For me I guess King's the Shining, Harris' Red Dragon and Ellroy's Black Dahlia had me gripped, even if a lot of it is under 'crime' rather than 'horror.'

On the other hand, supernatural horror can be just as chilling if written properly - the process of the otherworldly beings escaping into our reality in Barker's Imajica (even if it ultimately is too long), stuff beyond our comprehension in Lovecraft's Cthulhu stories, ghouls devouring the dead in McNaughton's short stories. Heck Theodore Sturgeon managed to make me afraid of spiders for 12hrs or so after one of his short stories.

Skywarp
October 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
I like religious and spiritual horror like ghosts, demons, abstract entities but not vampires or zombies.

On that note anyone got any suggestions for me?. I picked up one of Lovecraft's compilations awhile ago but found the old English writing style with painfully excessive detail a snooze fest and stopped after the Cthutlu story.

Mara-Marie
October 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
what i think is really creepy is when the villan has there victem or is in the process of ensnareing them and they say things in a creepy evil or all knowing voice and they say certain things in such a way that it makes you feel like they not only know everything about there victem but they know everything about you as well even though your just the reader. I think it's creepy when they really "know" you.

NO-F.X.
May 8th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I have always found cosmic horror very frightening. The thought that ancient horrors exist outside the realm of our understanding, influencing the universe in dark and twisted ways so they may prey upon our world and minds has always freaked me out. Lovecraftian type stuff. Scary ****.

Ariana
July 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I don't know if I "enjoy" this, but a story where something foreign and alien and so perverse yet somehow human-ish, devours you! Not like vampires or Were folk, but something other, something that is not of this reality or plane of existance... something that freezes you in your tracks and you can't run or scream or move an inch. Very like Lovecraft's descriptions of the "Old Ones".

Hugs:p
Ariana

fantasmic
July 8th, 2008, 05:43 PM
what really gets me is the serial killer stuff, things that can really happen like the movie vacancy, it could actually happen.:eek: