PDA

View Full Version : So what sends chills up your spine?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

JONK
May 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I like religious and spiritual horror like ghosts, demons, abstract entities but not vampires or zombies.

On that note anyone got any suggestions for me?. I picked up one of Lovecraft's compilations awhile ago but found the old English writing style with painfully excessive detail a snooze fest and stopped after the Cthutlu story.

I'm interested in reading some religious horror also. The Exorcist scared my pants off (book and movie). The movie Prince Of Darkness did too. Event Horizon is a pretty scary movie as it deals with "Hell", and as a bonus it's sci-fi. Anyone know of any good books along these lines?

Bob Gray
May 17th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'm interested in reading some religious horror also. The Exorcist scared my pants off (book and movie). The movie Prince Of Darkness did too. Event Horizon is a pretty scary movie as it deals with "Hell", and as a bonus it's sci-fi. Anyone know of any good books along these lines?

anything by Ted Dekker or Frank Peretti
T.E.D. Klein's The Ceremonies
Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart
John Farris's Son of the Endless Night
Brian Lumley's Demogorgon
James Herbert's Sepulchre
Brian Keene's Dark Hollow & Ghost Walk
Stephen King's Salem's Lot
Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby
Dan Simmons's Song of Kali
John Skipp & Craig Spector's The Scream
John Skipp & Cody Goodfellow's Jake's Wake

I know I'm missing some major ones but these are all I can think of right now

Whitleyrr
May 17th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Horror with a grounding in the spiritual terrifies me. A lot of M.R. James' stuff and some other older writers. Somewhere near the turn of the century horror took a turn away from the spiritual I think. The stuff in movies now about exorcisms and hauntings doesn't really capture the same feeling for me (with the notable exception of 'Emily Rose').

And while I love, love, Lovecraft, he doesn't terrify me so much as evoke in me a sense of dread and foreboding.

It's actually hard for a writer to truly scare me or set me on edge. J.R. Hamantaschen in his collection did it a couple of times, but especially in the first story. There was a sense of weird in it that actually had me frightened for a moment.

JONK
May 18th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!!! Bob Gray if you think of others I'd love to hear them. I love Steven King but never read Salem's Lot! I have it so I'll move that up the list. Which in your list would you suggest starting with?

Whitleyrr - I agree, and Emily Rose was pretty terrifying. I'll check out your suggestions too!

THANKS!!

Bob Gray
May 18th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!!! Bob Gray if you think of others I'd love to hear them. I love Steven King but never read Salem's Lot! I have it so I'll move that up the list. Which in your list would you suggest starting with?

Whitleyrr - I agree, and Emily Rose was pretty terrifying. I'll check out your suggestions too!

THANKS!!

Salem's Lot isn't burdened down with religious content but there is definitely that God vs. evil war going on

Bob Gray
May 18th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Thought of a few more:

Michael Laimo- Fires Rising
Michael Laimo- Dead Souls
Michael Laimo- The Demonologist
Brian Keene- A Gathering of Crows

JONK
May 18th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Salem's Lot isn't burdened down with religious content but there is definitely that God vs. evil war going on

I'm familiar with the Salem's Lot/Dark Tower connection (LOVE The Dark Tower) and loved the Salem's Lot movie too. Will absolutely read it soon. Thanks again for your other suggestions - do you have a favorite?

Bob Gray
May 18th, 2012, 04:15 PM
do you have a favorite?

of religious horror or just any book?

JONK
May 18th, 2012, 07:29 PM
of religious horror or just any book?

How about both!!!

Bob Gray
May 18th, 2012, 08:11 PM
How about both!!!

Ok, hmmmm....