PDA

View Full Version : So what sends chills up your spine?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Randy M.
May 21st, 2012, 04:43 PM
To add to this list:
The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons
The Shining by Stephen King
The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson
The Beckoning Fair One by Oliver Onions
The Loveliest Dead by Ray Garton
Prey by Graham Masterton
The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

I can't believe I didn't include The Shining or The House on the Borderland. Duh. I didn't add "The Beckoning Fair One" because it's a novella, but it surely is one of the great ghost stories.

A few more I didn't think of,
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (also a novella? it's certainly a short novel)
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
Beloved by Toni Morrison (controversial among some ghost story readers, though I can't recall the reasons why)

Randy M.

Bob Gray
May 21st, 2012, 06:04 PM
I can't believe I didn't include The Shining or The House on the Borderland. Duh. I didn't add "The Beckoning Fair One" because it's a novella, but it surely is one of the great ghost stories.

A few more I didn't think of,
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (also a novella? it's certainly a short novel)
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
Beloved by Toni Morrison (controversial among some ghost story readers, though I can't recall the reasons why)

Randy M.

Some other haunted house stories of note:
A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons
The Tides by Melanie Tem
The House on Orchid Street by T.M. Wright
Ghost Mansion & Horror Mansion by J.N. Williamson

messy
May 22nd, 2012, 05:10 PM
this (http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011/01/george-rr-martin-hospitalized.html) is the scariest thing i've ever read.

Spears&Buckler
May 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
That picture that Hobbit posted in the "Reading in May" thread from 'Salem's Lot gave me the heebie-jeebies. Whoa!

Lordwalker
August 16th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I wasn't sure if resurrecting this thread or starting a new one was the best way to ask a question on the subject or not but anyway.......

Most of the novels recommended here are older. I have read many of them. I used to read a lot more horror than I have recently. Are there any newer books, say in the last 5 years that have been genuinely scary? Not just gore for the sake of gore, but truly creepy stuff?

Randy M.
August 17th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I wasn't sure if resurrecting this thread or starting a new one was the best way to ask a question on the subject or not but anyway.......

Most of the novels recommended here are older. I have read many of them. I used to read a lot more horror than I have recently. Are there any newer books, say in the last 5 years that have been genuinely scary? Not just gore for the sake of gore, but truly creepy stuff?

I admit I can't keep up with all that's published that might apply, but here's what I've read in the last few years or so that does,

The Red Tree & The Drowning Girl by Caitlin Kiernan (disturbing stories, not particularly violent)

House of Windows by John Langan (good first novel; some violence)

Southern Gods by John Horner Jacobs (decent first novel; very violent at times)

The Mall of Cthulhu by Seamus Cooper (Lovecraft for laughs)

The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes (terrific supernatural thriller)

lost boy lost girl by Peter Straub (ghost story tied to his earlier "Blue Rose" stories, though I think you can read this without having read them; from a little before your 5-year mark)

Books I'm looking forward to that I believe are in the "quiet horror" tradition,
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
Banquet for the Damned by Adam Neville
Audrey's Door by Sarah Langan
The Harrowing by Alexandra Sokoloff

Randy M.

Riothamus
August 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM
The stories of Lovecraft had a way of putting fear into me that few other things do. Some of Edgar Allen Poe's stories really creep me out too. That and a number of things on Creepy Pasta like the stories about the Rake or Slenderman. I can't seem to find that many good horror stories.

kshRox
August 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM
my teenage children . . .

ColdSun
August 17th, 2012, 10:08 PM
For me.. Ghosts, possession, paranormal but not necessarily religious. Anything that allows my imagination to go crazy. Not knowing what will happen. Things that are just so strange and creepy that could be real and are unexplained.

Finally, if someone wrote a good shark book, something better than Jaws, that would scare me. The idea of being in the water with no where to run, no way of escape, no visibility except a few feet around you. Knowing that in just a matter of two seconds or less something could rise up from fifty or sixty feet below me.. That is why I decided my first book to write would be a horror/thriller novella that strongly features great white sharks and Seal Island. I'm doing this completely for fun and when I'm finished I'll happily give it to everyone here to make fun of. By the way did I mention it was SHARK WEEK!? :D

MattNY
August 18th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill