PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Dominus
October 24th, 2003, 11:56 PM
I thought we were going to change the game section to game's and technology to discuss techie stuff, but I guess that fell through, anyway, I just made this thread so that people could post tips and tricks on computers, or even consoles, that people could try or use. So.........

Dominus
October 25th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Ever gotten one of these?

http://www.re-quest.net/images/webpopup-1.gif

This is a message sent to your computer by a spammer, via the net messenger service built into Windows (2000, NT, XP). They can come at any time when you are connected to the internet, you don't even have to have your browser open, and even though most pop-up stoppers stop them, it's still annoying. So how do you get rid of it? There are two ways. One is the regular way, go to your Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and find the one called Messenger. Right-click and go to stop, then go into properties and change the startup type to Manual (you have to go into DOS and tell it to start) or disabled. Problem solved. Or you can do it the cool way. Go to your desktop and right-click, and create a new shortcut. In the location box, type in (without quotes), 'net stop messenger'. Now click on it, and if the service is started, a command prompt box will come up and stop the messenger service. But you don't want to have to click on that every time you log in, so go to the Control Panel and go to Scheduled Tasks, Add Scheduled Task. Browse for the shortcut, then set it to run everytime your computer starts, or every time you log in. :D

Dominus
October 25th, 2003, 12:29 AM
If you're a windows user, you're used to, and very bored with, both the Windows Explorer and IE toolbar on the top. A very bland off-white with no flair. Want to change it? Go to run and type in 'regedit' which opens up the Registry Editor. Just to be safe, go to File>Export to save your registry settings to a file. Messing things up would be very, very bad. Now, go to the key, My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Toolbar. In the right pane, right-click and go to New>String Value, name it BackBitmap. Now, if you have a .bmp file that you'd like to use as a background for the toolbar, modify the BackBitmap, and in the Value area, type the exact file name (including the .bmp) of the picture you want. It must be a bitmap to work. Press F5 to refresh the registry, and close any IE or Explorer windows, on XP you can just reopen them and the toolbar will now have the picture on the back. This may not be the case in earlier Windows, and you must restart, (or cheat, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, and end the process 'explorer.exe', then go to New Task, and browse for C:\Windows\explorer.exe, which will shorten the restart time) It doesn't matter how big the bitmap is, Windows will tile the pic to fill the space.

milamber_reborn
October 25th, 2003, 11:33 PM
If you own an aging PC like me, then you'll be desperate for any speed boosts you can find.

Download Cacheman from www.outertech.com and follow the wizards, just don't enable RAM recovery. You can knock the Read-Ahead up and fiddle around for the best settings.

Also, Tweak UI is a handy little tool.

Type "msconfig" into the RUN from the Start menu. Go to Startup and disable all the crap that's running, except what you absolutely need.

Always disable Virus scanners during games because they cause a lot of slow-down.