PDA

View Full Version : Approach

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jacquin
October 26th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Assuming that either you have had some work published or that you intend to at some time, what is your method of approach?

Do you simply write what you want and then attempt to find a suitable magazine/journal to publish it or do you taylor a piece to the style of a specific publication?

I am in the process of submitting a couple of pieces using the first method and also writing a piece using the second method. I'd be interested to see what approaches had worked for people here.

J

milamber_reborn
October 26th, 2003, 11:30 PM
I've written a heap of short stories that are going through the slow critiquing/re-editing process. I'm also racking up a few rejections.

Originally I just wrote the stories how I wanted to. Gradually, I'm beginning to write them shorter and more geared towards what the zines prefer. When it comes down to the crunch though, I write my ideas how they need to be written and then do a thorough job of getting them into shape for submitting.

Holbrook
October 28th, 2003, 02:51 PM
For longer pieces think damn hard as to whether they are going to be worth the hell of not only writing them, but presenting and selling them.

Just prepared and had printed out (on the required weight paper) my second novel for submission to a top notch comp for novels. It will be April before I hear if I am even shortlisted. So far this effort has cost me in money terms 25 in projected and past worry and heartache goodness knows.....

Being cynical I know, but have notched up too many rejections to be anything else in the writing game.

If I do get published if any one says its easy then they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

So all I can say is write the stories, keep an eye on the theme, length and tidy them up, make even a short story "complete" as in the story is there whole; no loose ends, whether it is 90,000 words or 1000

Expendable
November 11th, 2003, 01:06 PM
If you're submitting to a magazine, you want to make sure your style matches what the magazine's going for. If its a serious magazine, don't send them that funny story. If its a relaxed magazine, don't send them that critical exploration into human nature.

Hit the library and find a copy of the magazine to read. Or if they don't have it, find a copy somewhere to read. Know what you're getting into.

Oh, and make sure you get all the names and titles correct when you send in your submission. The last thing you want to do is to get on the wrong side of the editor.

primemover
November 14th, 2003, 08:02 PM
I had been writing short stories that I want to write--but lately have been trying to write stories that fit a specific market. It can be a good creative challenge. I am definitely trying to reduce word count, and write things that focus more on atmosphere.