View Full Version : "anime" fans

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

saintjon
November 2nd, 2003, 01:26 PM
I hate the word anime. I really do. Don't get me wrong man, I like my Japanese animation. I've found the kind of people who throw the word anime around are the ones who watch the truly brutal stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh or whatever.

The reason I'm semi-ranting is because I met this girl last night who was condescending at me for watching a live action movie, cuz she only watches "anime". I told her I like Miyazaki, to which she replied, "I haven't seen that one" and I was mentally thinking "oh damn, one of these". Can you imagine? that's like saying you're a film buff but have no idea who Frances Ford Coppela is.

Maybe I'm the one being a pretentious ass but the more "anime fans" I meet the less I want to strike up a conversation with ANYONE about anything even remotely Japanese, for fear of what kind of half-ass otaku I'm gonna stumble across.

Stewart
November 2nd, 2003, 05:45 PM
I am admiteddly not the most knowledgable of Anime fans. I got hooked on mecha thanks to Gundam Wing, and my main stable is the 1000 and counting Gundam series already in production. I love anime that has deep stories with lots of twists and philosophy and thinking involved(Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Akira they're all awesome). It really pisses me off when some moron comes up to me ranting about the new season of Yu-Gi-Oh and says "Now that's anime." They have no clue.

Bear
November 2nd, 2003, 08:20 PM
I used to be an anime nut. A total nut. So I can say, first hand, most anime fans are goons. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but if someone brings up anime and I mention Evangelion, Miyazaki, Furi Kuri, or Escaflowne and they don't know what I'm talking about, I write them off.

I'm such an elitist snob.

saintjon
November 3rd, 2003, 07:22 PM
yeah so apparently with us it's not that you're gonna be a snob that's the problem (since we'd have some serious self-loathing issues taking root ;)), it's what you're gonna be a snob about.

Well, as for that girl I was talking to on the weekend, she could've been into the most mind-blowing animation on the planet, and it STILL wouldn't be an excuse for her to condescend at me for watching good live action movies (she was snubbing True Romance without watching 5 minutes of it for God's sake!)

Keade
November 5th, 2003, 07:28 AM
i dont know that much about anime but i watch it just the same.
i love miyazaki's spirited away and princess mononoke. my favourite is spirited away:D i like it better than princess mononke but thats probably because i watched it dubbed:( .
i love the city in akira its so cool
ive not watched perfect blue though and i really want to

saintjon
November 5th, 2003, 06:07 PM
I wanna see Perfect Blue myself tell the truth.

Duarh
November 6th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Well. . .you've got to reckon that some people might just be starting out with their anime experience when you talk to them. . .

Besides, there is a lot of good anime out there besides Miyazaki and Evangelion.

I don't know what FLCL is about. I've just heard about it. Does that make me ignorant of anime? I don't think so - I've seen a lot. . .

If you wanted to watch all the anime that has been produced, ever, you'd have to spend years doing it even if you devoted seven hours every day to anime and nothing else. There's a lot of good stuff out there. You can't just dismiss somebody's anime knowledge because they haven't seen a few pieces you consider essential.

It IS kind of hard to miss Totoro or Mononoke-Hime, though ;).

Bear
November 6th, 2003, 01:43 PM
You can't just dismiss somebody's anime knowledge because they haven't seen a few pieces you consider essential.

Sure I can. :)

saintjon
November 6th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Man, I'm not saying they haven't seen enough, if anything they're watching too much!

It's like, just because some of it's so good, they've made the leaping assumption that Japanese animation is the highest of art forms, and suddenly Trigun is the greatest achievement of modern art or something.

I'm a manga (DAMN RIGHT I USE THAT WORD TO DESCRIBE THE ANIMATION TOO!) fan who's basically thrown on the breaks. Like there are some shows that were really damn good and groundbreaking, but why the heck are some of these people making the crap shows out to be some kind of gold standard? YTV tells people that Beyblade is a great show and they eat it up!

That and the naming of things is starting to bug me. If I have to listen to my buddy's gf say the full name of that stupid cat from Trigun just for the sake of hearing herself say it ONE MORE TIME there will be dire consequences...

Vladimir
November 7th, 2003, 09:15 AM
I seems I can't have any respect for any of you as you haven't even mentioed Serial Experiments Lain.
To be fair though.. I've lost any respect I had for my self after watching 40 eps of Naruto and all of HnG/HoI, both are 70+ ep shows.