PDA

View Full Version : 30 Days of Night

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Ouroboros
November 4th, 2003, 08:16 PM
This has been described as the comics event of 2002: a series that reads ... er... like you're watching a classic horror movie.

I just picked up the collected volume today, but I'm holding off reading it until I get a suitably stormy winter's night (really).

The sequel series 'Dark Days' is already on the shelves, but I reckon I'll wait for that to be collected as well.

Best of all, there's a Sam Raimi movie in pre-production at present. Due on the screen sometime in 2004. Rock on...

In related vampire comic news: Leafed through the first issue of Image's 'Sword of Dracula' series, which is an enjoyable if uninspired romp. It's a comic-long battle scene chonricling the invasion of Dracula's castle by a combined force of special forces soldiers in jeeps, Van Helsing and his commanders and ... er ... ninja swordsmen.... (why not?)

The gritty black and white art reminds me of the horror comics genre of old, and the general concept and subject matters seems to be an attempt to meld several currently popular themes: unconventional superhero teams / militarism / ultraviolence and adult themes and the ever popular vampire threat.

Keyoke
November 11th, 2003, 01:05 AM
I read the first set in a TPB, and loved it. Didn't expect I would, but, it sounded intriguig..

The second series, 30 days, I have just started, reading the first two issues. It's at #5 currently.. Excellent work.. IDW is putting out some great stuff of lates.

I look forward to the regular series by Steven Niles, but, for the life of me, I cannot remember what it is called. :)

Keyoke

Ouroboros
November 11th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Isn't '30 Days of night' the first series, and 'Dark Days' is the second one?

Warewolf
November 11th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Ouroboros
Isn't '30 Days of night' the first series, and 'Dark Days' is the second one?
Yes.

eraymer
December 13th, 2003, 12:51 AM
I picked up the "30 Days" trade a while back, and enjoyed it thouroughly. The artwork was what really defined the book for me. I loved how the blurry type of painting/drawing made it seem so surreal. The story was (as others have noted) pretty much standard horror movie fare, but entertaining nonetheless. I believe that the script was originally written for the screen, but instead got moved over to comics, for lack of takers in Hollywood. A fast, enjoyable read overall though.