View Full Version : Calling all writers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Jacquin
November 6th, 2003, 12:09 PM
It is commonly accepted that the more you write the better you write, so I thought I'd make a suggestion.

Would you be interested in a weekly writing exercise?

I will take it upon my self to come up with a task for us all to complete on a weekly basis, such as to write a specific scene in first person and then again in third person. I feel it could be interesting and as it is the kind of thing I do anyway I figured why not let others join in. We could learn from each other as well as from the exercise itself.

I will let this poll run for a week or so and if there is enough interest I will start stealing... I mean posting exercises.

J

Dawnstorm
November 6th, 2003, 03:18 PM
I'm in... if there's interest.

Won't have (much) internet access mid-nov to early-dec, though.

Holbrook
November 6th, 2003, 03:23 PM
An interesting idea, but I doubt I could find the time to do it... *sigh*

Jacquin
November 6th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Don't worry for a second about whether you'll have time or if you'll be around. There will be no commitment, as long as I don't end up doing this thing by myself I am happy! :D

J

Dawnstorm
November 6th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Question: Is this what you have in mind?

The results will be posted on the board, which puts a limit on the "size" of the average contribution (I'd guess about 1 - 3 paragraphs; exceptions where warranted).

Tasks could look like this:

Tammy buys a loaf of bread. Use stream of consciousness technique...

If it isn't, never mind, I'm in anyway (come december). :D

Jacquin
November 6th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Pretty much, I was planning on trying to include a lesson in every exercise so more like:

write a description of the following scene in 300 words or less - An elderly woman on a train sees someone she thought had died a long time ago. Then rewrite it without using any adjectives or adverbs...

In fact I think if we go for it I'll make that the first one :D

J

Dawnstorm
November 6th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Jacquin
write a description of the following scene in 300 words or less - An elderly woman on a train sees someone she thought had died a long time ago. Then rewrite it without using any adjectives or adverbs...

J

Sounds great. :D

Holbrook
November 7th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Pretty much, I was planning on trying to include a lesson in every exercise so more like:

J

Then to be honest J count me out. I just couldn't do it, not to that sort of techincal level.

You have seen my write. I just open a page and go. If I started thinking on more than the basic tense or POV I want to use on a piece, then to be honest, I would be too frightened to begin.

My writing has always been more instinctive and creative. The hard part for me, the bit that drags me down, is the editing. The going through and trying to make the piece work and make sense throughout its whole length.

Kaz
November 7th, 2003, 04:00 AM

J

It's a great idea Jac and will certainly be a lot of fun. But a subject such as the one you suggested might be too challenging for the likes of me....I can already see I will have to go back and edit all the time to ensure I stick to the no adjective / adverb rule. How does one do that anyway? Not referring to overuse that just makes a piece too flowery....hmmm, perhaps my English writing skills are a bit limited, or I have a completely incorrect idea of what an adjective or adverb is, but would you really be able to describe something without the use of such devices?

Jacquin
November 7th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Ok so that is perhaps a little dificult for a first exercise, or maybe it is just a little too specific.

I will endeavour to find something a little more open to variation.

The point of that one btw (as I will throw in something similar at some stage) is to focus on showing not telling. English has the biggest vocabulary of any language on the planet and has a phenomenal amount of verbs, why then do we always seem to pick a simple verb and qualify it with an adverb...

Anyway I'll get off my soapbox and get back to... well I have no idea what I'll gett back to. Probably this nice hot coffee (see two adjectives in one phrase, what is the world coming to? :D)

J