PDA

View Full Version : Dog Soldiers sequel on the way ...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ouroboros
November 6th, 2003, 05:12 PM
I was re-watching my DVD of the most excellent british horror movie 'Dog Soldiers' this evening, and thinking it was about time a sequel appeared on the horizon.

Did a quick search on the net, and turned up a few pages which suggest that a sequel, probably entitled 'Dog Soldiers 2 : Fresh Meat', is on the way. Kevin McKidd and Sean Pertwee are both unconfirmed but their names are mentioned in connection with the project. No other details as yet.

Without giving too much away, I'm probably not the only fan of the original movie eager to see what capacity Pertwee returns in ....

---

'Dog Soldiers', along with the canadian 'Ginger Snaps' probably represent the best werewolf movies made in recent years (and in my opinion : ever). 'Ginger Snaps', of course, seems to have mostly been based on Suzi McKee Charnas' short story "Boobs".

I would tend to argue that while 'Ginger Snaps' is truly a movie devoted to themes of transformation and change (with lycanthropy equating to the stormy passage of the female lead characters through puberty), 'Dogs Soldiers' isn't at it's core a film where the werewolf takes centre stage. As the director says on the DVD commentary, its really a movie about soldiers that has werewolves in it, rather than a werewolf movie that has soldiers in it. Slight distinction, which doesn't take away from the fact that this is at it's core a horror movie for horror movie fans.

Breaking it down more analytically you could say that it moves from also soap-opera beginnings (bit like 'Soldier, Soldier') into becoming a chase movie and then into, finally, a siege movie.

The camradery and esprit de corps of the squaddies on-screen is the main focus and drive as events unfold, and it's this bedrock that makes the viewer actually care for the characters and fear the werewolf threat ... as opposed to most horror movies, where the protagonists drift around only serving as eye candy and cannon fodder.

Oh yeah, and the best on-screen werewolves ever. CGI be damned.

Can't wait for the next one.

Ouroboros
November 7th, 2003, 06:14 PM
More information: Eric Millar ('Shadow men') is writing the script.

Ominously, however, Fango has reported that this time around efforts have been made to work more americans into the script, taking into account US viewer feedback. AAarrgh...

This isn't thrilling news. Part of the strength of the original movie is that it is so free of Hollywood's influence. It was as english as bangers and mash with all its northern slang and football references. If there's a token american hero in the sequel I'm going to run around naked killing people at the next full moon.

Nevyn
November 8th, 2003, 07:24 AM
You're certainly not alone Ouroboros !:)

P.S Spoon in the kitchen scene still makes me smile , one of the best ever ! no spoilers here cause if you've seen the movie you'll know what I'm talking about :D

Kanin
February 7th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the info DS 2!

I loved the first one. As the movie progressed, it just got better and better. I love scenes with gore, and this one did not disappoint. But, it's not just a gore movie. Not at all. Really a great movie all around, with humor, action, and REAL scares. Not too many horror movies make me jump any more.

Can't wait to see part 2.

ChrisW
February 8th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Ack Dog Soldiers sucked big time. It's the worst British film i've ever seen. I can't believe people actually want to see a second one:(.

Ouroboros
February 8th, 2004, 07:06 AM
There's good news ... and there's bad news.

The good news is that a 'Dog Soldiers' sequel is due to shoot in April, with a budget of $5.5 million, in either Luxembourg or Canada.

The bad news is that it looks like our worst fears of americanisation are due to be realised :D . http://www.horrorexpress.com/news.php?newsid=134 reports that Neil Marshall had to sell his rights to the US in order to get the first film made, and effectively been shut out.

The new movie is going on under the direction of Andy Armstrong from an Eric Miller script. The writers are David E. Allen and Brian Patrick O’Toole.

The gist of the plot is Cooper being picked up by an elite american army unit :rolleyes: right after the end of the first film. Supposedly they were the real opponents in the 'wargames exercise'. Naturally there are more werewolves coming out of the woodwork, and writer Allen promises more blood and guts and so on.

Allen has said “We’re definitely thinking in terms of a franchise ... We have a third story sitting in the background, and we also have an idea for a prequel that would tell the story of the werewolf family.”

Provisional guess: we can expect a shoddy re-make of the first movie with bland american actors, and without the witty banter, british humour or underlying soldiering theme. They'll probably even CGI in the bad guys instead of using puppetry.

Never mind the werewolves, the american producers are the real monsters. ;)

Eurytus
February 9th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Ouroboros
Provisional guess: we can expect a shoddy re-make of the first movie with bland american actors, and without the witty banter, british humour or underlying soldiering theme. They'll probably even CGI in the bad guys instead of using puppetry.

Never mind the werewolves, the american producers are the real monsters. ;)
Christ, I am only surprised that they don't have Paul Anderson directing it and Freddie Prinze Jnr and Matthew Lillard starring.

This will undoubtably be crap. I agree that the "Britishishness" made the first film what it was and that removing this element can only be to the films detriment.

Kanin
February 9th, 2004, 07:37 AM
The British humor and puppet werewolves were the best thing about it. Hopefully Cooper will be the main character and the American's will be in the backround. I'll miss Spoon though.

Please let there be no CGI in the sequel. CGI is not scary. Never has been. I like to see real meat and blood hanging off my werewolves.

juzzza
February 9th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Gah, I was delighted when I read your first post O, now I shake my head and look glumly into the distance...

No doubt we will all still watch it, hoping that they don't destroy the great work delivered by the first instalment.

Spoon in the kitchen is indeed one of my fave scenes in any horror movie.

I know this thread is dedicated to DS, but any news on 28 Days Later sequel/prequel?

Kanin
August 28th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Just found this info:

Dog Soldiers 2 is looking like it will start shooting February 2005 in Vancouver.