View Full Version : Caper/Heist Films

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Kanin
November 7th, 2003, 08:53 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of caper/heist films. Films where a thief or team of thieves have to plan and break into or steal an item and get away.

So, was wondering what your favs were and maybe get some suggestions.

Here's a list of films that I like:

Sneakers
The Thomas Crown Affair
Mission Impossible
Ronin
The Italian Job
Confidence
The Score
Swordfish
Entrapment
Ocean's 11
Out of Sight
Heat
Heist

Ouroboros
November 8th, 2003, 05:24 AM
If you like 'Heat', you might like Michael Mann's 'LA Takedown' which is the movie it is based on.

The king of this genre has got to be 'The Italian Job' (the original movie, not the awful americanised Mark Wahlberg version).

Kanin
November 8th, 2003, 08:06 AM
I really liked the recent The Italian Job. I thought it was great fun.

The casting was really well done. Seth Green and Jason Statham are excellent. I usually don't like Wahlberg, but I thought he did a good job in this film. And Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors. Loved him in Primal Fear and The Score.

The mini-Cooper chase was a great homage to the original. Plus, having a film with Donald Sutherland in it, is always a bonus. He's great!

One of the best scenes in the movie is when they flashback on how the thieves got their start. Left Ear's bomb in the toliet is hilarious. Plus, we get to see how Napster was really founded.;)

All in all, I would watch the film again. In fact, I bought the DVD, so I probably will.

:)

Ouroboros
November 8th, 2003, 05:09 PM
I thought it was an answer to a question nobody asked, frankly.

A sterling piece of the past watered-down and given the hollywood treatment to appeal to american audiences. No thanks.

:)

Kanin
November 8th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Sorry. I didn't know I couldn't post on this topic without a direct question being asked.;)

Here's a question for you:

Who's in L.A. Takedown? I've never heard of it. When did it come out? Why did Michael Mann make two movies based on the same idea?

Bond
November 9th, 2003, 04:39 AM
There's also the Great Train Robbery.
The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3?

Not a "heist" film but it involves a group of baddies wanting to get something back from a poor defenseless woman:

Wait Until Dark (1967)

Great suspense!

BTW is the Die Hard franchise considered a group of heist movies?
How about The Train?

I guess you can call them movies where the protagonists are trying to foil the heist.

MrKip
November 9th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I wathced 'The Taking of Pelham 123' the other day and thought it was a cracking film. Would 'Lock, Stock...' be considered a heist film? If so another great film.

Ouroboros
November 10th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Kanin
Sorry. I didn't know I couldn't post on this topic without a direct question being asked.;)

Ah, I was referring to the fact that it was a remake - it was a figure of speech... sorry for the confusion.

Who's in L.A. Takedown? I've never heard of it. When did it come out? Why did Michael Mann make two movies based on the same idea?

It's quite interesting: 'L.A Takedown' was a 1989 TV movie that built up a bit of a cult following. I think 'Heat' was the film that Mann wanted to make at the time, but he simply didn't have the money and the connections to carry it off...

It's interesting to compare the two movies. 'Heat' takes most of its dialogue and plot from 'LA. Takedown', and is pretty much superior in every way. With that said, it's still worth a look if you're a fan of 'Heat'. There are a lot of unknown actors in many of the roles, which actually works quite well.

Kanin
November 13th, 2003, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ouroboros
[B]

Ah, I was referring to the fact that it was a remake - it was a figure of speech... sorry for the confusion.

I understand now. My bad. I see what you were trying to say. Kind of like the new version of Psycho huh? Who was asking for that???? Sometimes Hollywood doesn't know when to say no. I hear that they are trying to remake Halloween. What's next? A remake of Lord of the Rings? The Godfather?

Thanks for the info on L.A. Takedown. I'll definitely track it down and watch it.

Bond
November 26th, 2003, 11:43 PM
If you don't mind older movies with a more comedic and romantic bent you might want to include How to Steal a Million (1966) and Hot Millions (1968).