PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit and the Silmarillion movies?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zsinj
November 16th, 2003, 12:27 PM
I heard here recently that there were rumors that Peter Jackson is going to make movies based on the two LOTR prequels, "The Hobbit" and "The Silmarillion". Is this true, because I think it would be just plain awesome if he did!

Dominus
November 16th, 2003, 12:49 PM
I doubt that the Silmarillion will ever be made into a movie, it would have to be either vast and incomprehensible to people who hadn't read it, or short, with no meaning, or definable plot, no way it's getting done.

The Hobbit will most likely be made into a movie though, Ian McKellan has already said that if there is one, he'll play Gandalf, I and Peter Jackson said that he'll do it, as long as he gets to make another movie first.

Zsinj
November 16th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah, you're right. It's probably best to leave the Silmarillion alone. Wouldn't want it to end up like Dungeons and Dragons! **SHUDDER**

Evil Agent
November 16th, 2003, 01:34 PM
I don't think we'll ever see the Silmarillion on film ,unless its a few select legends from the whole work, done in some kind of mini series way.

But as Dom said, the Hobbit is quite likely. Sir Ian McKellen DID say that he would love to play Gandalf again, while Jackson has said both yes and no to whether he'd like to make the film... he says he wants to be able to watch it in the theatre for the first time (but he also knows that no one else would make it as good as him, so it's almost his DUTY to make it!). And, knowing how the movie industry works, the fact that the LOTR films have made so much money almost guarantees us The Hobbit.

However, they're all probably quite burned out at the moment, so I would say we have at least 5 years before talk of the Hobbit turns serious.

Would Ian Holm play Bilbo? I doubt it, but that would be great.

Keade
November 18th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Evil Agent
Would Ian Holm play Bilbo? I doubt it, but that would be great. [/B]

if peter jackson did make the hobbit its not likely they would use ian holm as bilbo because he is quite old and they need a more catchy actor if he was to play the part of the main character of a movie

Ickle Lulu
November 18th, 2003, 10:00 AM
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEAH! they've GOT to make a film of the hobbit - and Ian McKellen has GOT to play Gandalf...........hehe!

golinub
November 18th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Keade

if peter jackson did make the hobbit its not likely they would use ian holm as bilbo because he is quite old and they need a more catchy actor if he was to play the part of the main character of a movie

I hope they will keep Ian Holm as Bilbo. He is perfect for the part and seeing how good Jackson's CGI teem was with Golem, they could use the same technique to make Holm appear younger.

I just hope that Bilbo as a movie will have the same overall style and feeling than the LOTR trilogie and not to much the children tale style.

milamber_reborn
November 18th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Ian Holm is too old for to be Bilbo from The Hobbit. That's why I didn't like the flashback in Fellowship.

I just hope that Bilbo as a movie will have the same overall style and feeling than the LOTR trilogie and not to much the children tale style.

I'm not so sure. It would need a less ominous and a more magical feel to it.

I just wanna see Smaug.

Frostmourne
November 19th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Yah, Smaug would be cool to see on the big screen.

Also I want to see the battle of 5 armies, I loved that chapter, "The clouds burst"

Evil Agent
November 19th, 2003, 08:35 PM
The Hobbit is LOADED with good stuff for a movie. I actually saw a stage production of it once, which was really good.

Here's some of what I would love to see on the big screen:

-Smaug
-The 12 Dwarves
-GANDALF!
-The trolls
-Gollum's first appearance!
-Warg fight
-The Eagles
-The spiders of Mirkwood
-The Battle of the 5 armies