PDA

View Full Version : The Shining

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Colonel Worf
November 17th, 2003, 09:08 AM
I'm 300 pages in. I started in Saturday morning. What a page turner. I had seen the miniseries a couple of years ago, but I have been pleasantly surprised and haven't gotten bored with a single page yet. It's VERY good. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being my favorite (or close to it) King book.

Your thoughts?

Evil Agent
November 17th, 2003, 03:15 PM
I read it several years ago, and it was one of my favorites too. For me, my favorite King books were the first three I read: Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot, and the Shining. The first one scared the crap out of me, the second was with VAMPIRES, and the third one was scary too.

My other favorites would probably be the Dark Tower series.

I still haven't read IT or The Stand, though.

Did you say you saw a miniseries of The Shining, or have you also seen the Stanley Kubrik film starring Jack Nicholson. It's different from the book, but still pretty good.

Caleddin
November 17th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Didn't go much on the film, but them I'm not a big J.N. fan. In my own opinion the Stand is a great read as is IT (possibly my favourite Stephen King), but that said I also enjoyed The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and Rose Madder.

AuntiePam
November 17th, 2003, 06:23 PM
I haven't re-read that one for awhile, glad to hear you're enjoying it, even after seeing the movies.

It's one of my King favorites too -- The Stand, The Shining, Salem's Lot.

I don't want to spoil it for you because I don't know where page 300 might be in the edition you have, but there are some scenes in there that gave me chills.

Colonel Worf
November 17th, 2003, 11:45 PM
I just started Part 4... Snowbound. And I saw the miniseries, not the Kubrick film yet. I'll get around to that one day.

Colonel Worf
November 21st, 2003, 06:29 PM
I finished it this morning. Definetely one of my favorite King books. I finished it quicker that I usually finish other books too. It was great. It actually got my blood flowing a couple of times. There were just some really creepy scenes that weren't conveyed as eerily on screen.