PDA

View Full Version : Something I found dissapointing in Return of the King: the video game

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
November 18th, 2003, 03:13 PM
I think the two LOTR video games released for the Gamecube that are based off the movies are two of the greatest games ever made, I really do. However, when I was watching my sister play ROTK, something happened that dissapointed me. In the game, when Samwise goes into the dark fortress of Ciruth Ungol to rescue Frodo, the interior of the castle looks just plain crummy. It's basically composed of ramshackle-looking brick walls and hallways.
Excuse me, but where the heck are the brooding, gleaming, ominous black halls and chambers of malevolence that were frequent in the dark fortresses of the LOTR books. Some of you may think I'm making too big a deal out of this, but I pay close attention to detail in fantasy, and archetexture is one of my favorite things. The ramshackle interior of Ciruth Ungol just didn't seem to fit the glorious gleaming ornate darkness that is Mordor. Anyone here agree with me?

Evil Agent
November 18th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Haven't seen the game played yet, but that interior is most likely based on the movie... hmmm. I guess I'll have to wait and see. But I agree, I always pictured the inside of that tower to be quite ... ominously grand.

Zsinj
November 18th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I know. On the outside, it looks creepy and ominous enough to send chills down your spine, but when you get inside it,it just looks like the inside of a typical cliched castle. And you're like, "This is it?!!" Man, all I have to say is that this better not happen in the movie, because if it does, I'll be really disappointed.
If it does appear in the movies, it will prove that perhaps Peter Jackson made a stupid move of maybe having John Howe (the original artist who drew the dark towers and demonic fortresses of Mordor, and did a dang good job of it too!) only work on the exterior of Ciruth Ungol and not the interior. I mean, look at the great, darkly magnicifent interiors of the dark tower of Orthanc and Moria in LOTR. Absolutley jaw-dropping right? Now compare these to the inside of the movie version of Ciruth Ungol and you're like, "What the heck happened?!!"
All I have to say is, if it turns out that this interior of Ciruth Ungol in the movie, and if they decide to show the interior of Minas Morgul and Bara-Dur and do the same things with them, I'll be really mad!! That would be a complete travesty and blasphemy to Tolkien's works!!

milamber_reborn
November 18th, 2003, 10:01 PM
That's the drawback of movie-to-game conversions. The tight production schedule means they usually suck, so EA did a pretty good job really. Play Enter The Matrix if you want to know the meaning of "bland textures."

Frostmourne
November 19th, 2003, 03:51 PM
LOL Enter the Martix was one of the worst games I've even played. I couldnt kill the agent cause when I jumped, the controls were so crummy that I kept on falling to my doom. Almost everyone I know say "Its sooo cool, you can slow everything down and punch the people" But I bet more than half of them have never really played the game, just tried it on somebody's system.