PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend some good "mature" anime?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Miriamele
November 19th, 2003, 08:35 PM
No, I don't mean hentai.

I've been getting into anime quite a bit lately and seen some stuff that I really enjoyed: Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Macross Plus, Rouroni Kenshin (OVA).

Could someone please tell me what other stuff is out there that contains mature themes like the above? I don't mind any amount of violence or nudity as long as it's tasteful and not overdone.

BTW, a lot of people seem to like Ninja Scroll so I watched the movie as well as the first few episodes of the series but I didn't really care for it. It was okay, but the violence seemed to take precedence over the character development.

I apologize if someone else has already started a similar thread. I haven't been here for a while.

Thanks! :)

Bear
November 19th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Check out Escaflowne, and if you can, get the subtitled version. The dubbing was really bad. Good story (if a little cheesy at times), good art, awesome soundtrack.

If you haven't seen any Miyazaki movies, watch them. Not necessarily "mature" (more of a fun for all ages kinda thing), but brilliant nonetheless. Spirited Away, Mononoke, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa and Laputa are good examples. Also watch Graveyard for fireflies. Not directed by him, but done in his studio. Very good, if depressing.

Perfect Blue and Jin Roh were both good films. Perfect Blue is basically a psychological thriller, only animated. And Jin Roh is slow-paced, but worth the effort, IMO. Awesome artwork in both.

Miriamele
November 19th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the tips, Bear! I'll check those out.

I have seen Spirited Away, and Laputa if it's the one recently released as Castle in the Sky. Castle In the Sky is my four-year old daughter's favourite movie.

Twelve
November 20th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Hellsing. Very good vampire anime.

kater
November 20th, 2003, 07:12 AM
My brother's well into Neo Evangelion aswell at the moment which seems quite good. If you haven't already then the classic Ghost in the Shell is a must see.

saintjon
November 21st, 2003, 06:30 PM
yeah I'll second all that, except for Hellsing, but only because I haven't seen it. Noir is decent, but the animation is weak in some of the earlier episodes.

Wings of Honneamise was a pretty good story, real slow-paced and with brutal music, however the animation is gorgeous.

Hobbit
November 21st, 2003, 06:49 PM
My (pretty obvious!) choices would be Ghost in the Shell and Akira (both already mentioned!) . I love Ghost in the Shell particularly, though the story is fairly slight, IMO.

Metropolis isn't bad, but not fantastic. (It is interesting when compared with the original b&w Fritz Lang movie, though!)

I also enjoyed Patlabor and Wings of Honneamise, though they also show some of the strengths/weaknesses of the anime films.

I really want to see Spirited Away, which had a very limited screen run here in the UK, but got fantastic reviews. Will look at it when out on DVD.

Hobbit

fluffy bunny
November 21st, 2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Hobbit
I love Ghost in the Shell particularly, though the story is fairly slight, IMO.Hobbit

Check out the book (or in this case the manga (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1852868899/qid=1069461657/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/026-9054669-1469233) ). Blows the film away. Didn't like the anime (movie version) of ghost to be honest- they're trying to cram in too much in to a short space of time. The movie seemed rushed and jumbled in comparison to the manga.

Miriamele
November 21st, 2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Originally posted by Hobbit

Metropolis isn't bad, but not fantastic. (It is interesting when compared with the original b&w Fritz Lang movie, though!)

I've seen Metropolis--I thought that the animation was beautiful but the story very slow moving. I found it hard to keep watching to the end.

Sprited Away is a very good movie, Hobbit. Isn't it out on DVD yet in the UK? It's been out in Canada for quite a while now.

Hobbit
November 21st, 2003, 07:52 PM
Yes - thanks Fluffy, i'd heard that about the comic. The music though and the images are great but you've summed up pretty much what I thought. ;)

Miri - (nice to see you back btw :)) Sadly, Spirited Away was only shown in a few cinemas here in the late summer. Nowhere near Hobbit Towers that I could see. :(

It is due for release in February 2004 here (just in time for my birthday! :)) so not yet. The pictures I've seen of it though are stunning.

Hobbit