PDA

View Full Version : Can I bounce some ideas off you guys?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Miriamele
November 19th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Hello all,
I've happy to say I've experienced a rather large surge of creativity lately. I was sitting at my desk at work the other day, thinking about the story I posted here at sffworld ages ago (what else would I do at work, work?), and rather to my surprise I started adding to it in my head, and adding some more background and adding some more plot, until I had the story outline for at least two books, if not more. My original story will just be modified and expanded to form the first chapter.

So as soon as I got home I spent several hours writing all my ideas down. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself at the moment. I don't even have a name for the books yet, but it's been a long time since I felt like writing and I'm happy my muse has paid me a visit.

Now, I have a few slight concerns about certain elements of my story and I was just wondering what the general reaction of you guys might be to these elements. Any comments would be appreciated.

1. My main character, a female, escapes from an attempted rape only to find herself being held prisoner as a cruel man's mistress for several months. Do you think it's too unpleasant or distasteful to begin a book with a young girl being put through such ordeals (like rape)? She's very much a victim in the beginning and won't start taking control of her life until she's a bit older.

2. In my second storyline, I have a woman in her late twenties having a passionate affair with a boy of 15--although he isn't really much of a boy, but quite hardened by life. Does anyone think this age gap is too weird? I have always found "forbidden" relationships to be more interesting because they're such a challenge to those involved.

3. In my world, some people have the ability to shape-shift into animals or trees. Does anyone think that this extreme form of magic is too far-out? My stories tend to be very fairytale-ish, in that basically anything can happen when magic is involved. (Although only certain people can learn magic.) I really like putting a lot of magic and mysticysm into my stories but sometimes I think I should tone it down a bit.

Thanks. :)

fluffy bunny
November 19th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Knackered at the mo, and not that creative at the mo, but here it goes

Originally posted by Miriamele
1. My main character, a female, escapes from an attempted rape only to find herself being held prisoner as a cruel man's mistress for several months. Do you think it's too unpleasant or distasteful to begin a book with a young girl being put through such ordeals (like rape)? She's very much a victim in the beginning and won't start taking control of her life until she's a bit older.

I think this all depends on your writing style. As long as you avoid graphic excess (that can be distasteful), and handle the subject sensitively, there's no reason why you can't write about it. The only thing is that it's a topic that's very easy to get wrong and offend a lot of people. Have a go, and see what you come up with.

2. In my second storyline, I have a woman in her late twenties having a passionate affair with a boy of 15--although he isn't really much of a boy, but quite hardened by life. Does anyone think this age gap is too weird? I have always found "forbidden" relationships to be more interesting because they're such a challenge to those involved.

Sounds interesting. What are the social dynamics in your world? What type of cultures are being represented? What's forbidden is often only a matter of upbringing. If culturally it's accepted, there'd be less of an outrage than if it's never been heard of. If it has been heard of in the past, is it commonly accepted? Think of the homosexual issue in our world. Some people totally accept it, others don't, and most people hover somewhere in the grey area. How do different people act around the characters? Guarding their tongues so as not to offend 'political correctness? Quite forthcoming about their views? Accept the people for who they are and not for their ages?

3. In my world, some people have the ability to shape-shift into animals or trees. Does anyone think that this extreme form of magic is too far-out? My stories tend to be very fairytale-ish, in that basically anything can happen when magic is involved. (Although only certain people can learn magic.) I really like putting a lot of magic and mysticysm into my stories but sometimes I think I should tone it down a bit.
Thanks. :)

Let your imagination run wild. If you enjoy the story, it's likely someone else will. Don't be shoehorned into someone else's way of thinking- write in a style/setting that suits you and that you enjoy.

-------------
Am probably going to regret writing this gobbledegook in the morning.

Miriamele
November 19th, 2003, 10:41 PM
Not gobbledegook at all Fluffy. Thanks for your input. Quite impressive for being "knackered" (I think I can guess what that means). :)

just to clarify, knackered = tired/exhausted/shattered (not drunk as the above can be interpreted)- fluffy bunny

milamber_reborn
November 19th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Nothing should be taboo because everything has an audience somewhere. It really depends on how much you yourself can stomach. I actually find that writing about a character being abused etc brings out quality writing because I have to fully enter their mind to get the story across. It's also a good way of challenging my skills and growing as a writer.

juzzza
November 20th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Hello Miri,

Welcome back, I missed you.

I think your questions are hard to answer, because IMO it boils down to the quality of the writer but as I have seen your writing and the piece you mention I think you can quite comfortably deal with a rape or attempted rape early on, and do so with the grace it requires. I also think the age gap between the other female lead and the 15 year old is do-able especially if you can convey that it is acceptable in the society your tale is based. However, personally I would enjoy and want to read it even more if it was looked upon with the same sort of disgust (bit strong but true) as our own society. How the characters cope with keeping it a secret and the intimacy of their relationship and wishing the world could understand their love would be brilliant. If you are flicking between these characters between chapters it would be a great tension and plot builder.

Also, the magic thing about magic is that it's magic... Um, I hope that helps. I guess I am saying there are no rules, other than making it believable. Again, well within your ability.

So, bring it on gorgeous and let me read it.

Juz

X

Miriamele
November 20th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys. You pretty much said what I wanted to hear, which is do whatever I want! :)

And I will. I can't wait to get more written (I just have the first couple chapters) but I have to find the time--my life is hectic right now.

Juz, the relationship you were talking about will be extremely looked down upon, but not because of the age thing. Can't explain more at the moment.

Sorry fluffy, I've really never heard the word "knackered" before! :D No offense intended against your most illustrious character. ;)

juzzza
November 20th, 2003, 09:10 AM
MY GOD!!! It's her own SON!!! You Cannucks are SICK :D

Miriamele
November 20th, 2003, 09:55 AM
LOL :D

I should have known you would take it that way...

Actually, he's an assassin who has killed someone very dear to her. She gets close to him intending to get information and ultimately kill him, but falls in love with him instead.

Sounds cheesy when I put it that way, doesn't it? :D

Jacquin
November 20th, 2003, 10:18 AM
No, not cheesy. It sounds like a nice device to explore the depth of feelings of your character. I like the sound of it and would like to read it, go write some!

J

Dawnstorm
November 20th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Miriamele
Actually, he's an assassin who has killed someone very dear to her. She gets close to him intending to get information and ultimately kill him, but falls in love with him instead.

Sounds cheesy when I put it that way, doesn't it? :D

Plots always sound cheesy when spelled out. The art of storytelling is the art of disguising the plot, so it does NOT sound cheesy. :D

It's all in the writing, and there's lots of potential in this idea.

===

As for your original question: 1./2. That you're worrying about being too distasteful, makes me worry that you're not going to be distasteful enough... Not that you should try to be distasteful, but it does take a lot of courage to write about rape... and not tone it down too much. Reading is a lot easier than writing... So what's my point? If you actually manage to write this, then you deserve readers just as brave... um... that sounds more dramatic than it should...

3.: I like morphing. :) (So, what if someone morphs into a dog, and someone else into a tree, and they meet... :o sorry...)

Just keep writing.
:)