PDA

View Full Version : A question about the ER series

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
November 20th, 2003, 07:03 PM
One of my favorite drama series on tv is ER. It took a little while to grow on me, but now I really like it. Anyway, my favorite character on ER is Dr. John Carter, and I was wondering, since the series is in part created by Michael Crichton, who has written several sci-fi novels and one fantasy/sword and sorcery novel (Eaters of the Dead), I'm wondering if maybe Michael Crichton is paying sort of an homage to the famous sword-and-sorcery fantasy author Edgar Rice Burroughs by possibly naming that character after Burrough's John Carter of Mars? Does anyone know if this was intentional or not?

Lifino
November 20th, 2003, 10:50 PM
I can't answer as an authority. BUT, I'd say that this is not the case. The names John and Carter are both very very common. To put them together and have it tie to an ERB character is probably more chance than purpose.

But then again, I can't say with any certainty.

AuntiePam
November 20th, 2003, 11:16 PM
It might be interesting to ask him though. The names have to come from somewhere. We've all heard about writers using names of family and friends, and of literary heroes as well.

It might well be. The name John Carter is almost too common to be an accident.

AuntiePam
November 20th, 2003, 11:25 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JLFT/104-1214424-0601504?v=glance&vi=quotes-trivia

Aha! You're right. I googled "john carter of mars michael crichton ER" and here ya go.

You have to look way down the page, past the quotes, almost to the end of the trivia stuff (which is very interesting, actually).

So yeah, he was.

Zsinj
November 21st, 2003, 12:34 PM
Wow, thanks!! And that was just some crazy theory I had inmy head! :)