if anyone can give me any tips i would really really love it

about writting stories thank you

Miriamele
November 21st, 2003, 11:30 AM
That question is too general, Gambit.

What kind of tips are you looking for?

Jacquin
November 22nd, 2003, 05:24 AM
First write one word, then another. Keep doing that until you have a story.

J

Holbrook
November 22nd, 2003, 05:49 AM
Tip One:

Use correct English; as in no "texting", that is the shortening of words or sentences and use the capital "I".

And begin each sentence with a Captial letter.

Use the full stops, and, or , comma's.

I am not the world's best at using the above, but I do try.

kegasaurus
November 22nd, 2003, 06:08 AM
Write what you have to get down, then accept that it is crap. Fix the story, get your plot points right and then give your characters a voice of there own.

Just remember it is not a one stage process, but in itself a living entity that needs to be sustained to show growth.

Caleddin
November 22nd, 2003, 07:17 AM
Also don't always follow what your grammer/spell checker say's. I've been caught out a few times.

She tied the cord....changed to She tied the chord.

Also don't bother with voice recognition software. Especially if writing fantasy/sci fi! Trust me!

The elf....do you mean health?
The troll....do you mean roll?

Just a few examples.

Iskaral Pust
November 22nd, 2003, 07:22 AM
Rule number 1 - It MUST make sense.

Yes, I know it is fantasy and therefore the sky is the limit. However, to make such great examples of imagination, which reach their intended limits, you must have an example of normal to compare it too. Since your reader's exist in the real world and not yours then you must suggest an identifiable reality before you can suggest otherwise. In otherwise, the more real you make your world the more the differences count. If you make it all unique then nothing you can write will have the impact you desire.

Rule number 2 - Characters ARE more important than plot. Never forget this. It is the people who populate your story who matter, not who holds the ring or possesses the knowledge to beat the enemy. Of course these are important, but if your characters suck, so does your book. Get them right and they can, and will, make your story.

Rule number 3 - Consistancy is more important than drama. Don't change the rules to suite the story. You set the rules...live by them.

Rule number 4 - Never trick the reader needlessly. If the story requires misconception, so be it. However, needless mystery just becomes a bore.

Rule number 5 - Nothing is written in stone. If a idea does not make sense then scrap it. A story should evolve, not be forced. Most of my best ideas came from unseen twists.

Rule Number 6 - Take notes. Saves you the trouble of scrolling and shuffling through pages to remember how you spelled someone`s name three chapters back. Also helps you organize your web of plot, intrigue and character relations. PLUS, I hate having a good idea (usually happens in the shower) and then I don`t bother to write it down. 3 days later I can`t remember what it was.

Rule Number 7 - Don't be scared to write. This may seem silly until you think about it. Sometimes (especially the old "I am rubbish" or "I just cannot seem to get started" excuses) are enough to put you off altogether. I am not sure there is any such thing as a "born" writer because it is a craft, and as such you have to work at it.

Bardos
November 22nd, 2003, 08:15 AM
Also, write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write write.... ;)

Miriamele
November 22nd, 2003, 09:20 AM
Okay, here's a tip. Never try to get the story perfect the first time you write it down--or it will never get written down. Just get down the story on paper (or on screen) no matter how terrible it sounds, and then go back and rewrite. And rewrite. And rewrite again, until it sounds the way you want it. A story is a fluid thing, always changing.

KatG
November 22nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
Tip 1: Ignore all "must" "should's" and "have to's" about writing.

Tip 2: Try studying the writers who you like and try to figure out how they do the things that you most like about their work.

Tip 3: Don't ask others how to write. Even if they tell you how they write, it won't necessarily work for you. However, you can ask other writers how they personally write, as in how do they develop their characters, structure their plots, and so on. Then you can try out their techniques and see if any of them work for you too. If you have a particular problem with a story, you can ask other writers how they might handle it, and then see if any of the ideas they come up with work for you as well.