PDA

View Full Version : The World of the Dark Crystal by Brian Froud

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
November 22nd, 2003, 12:46 PM
Okay, I didn't know whether to put this topic in the fantasy novel section because it is in the fantasy category, the art section because it is mainly an art book, or the film section because it is based off a movie, so bear with me, here :D
Last Sunday I was in the Barnes and Noble Bookstore, when I came across a mammoth-sized book by Brian Froud based on one of my favorite fantasy movies, "The Dark Crystal". I had no idea that Brian Froud was involved in this movie! I knew his artwork looked familiar in some way!
This book was freakin' amazing! The artwork was so awesome, and you won't believe the amount of intricate mythology and legend and world-making went into this movie! If you're a fan of "The Dark Crystal" movie like I am, then I urge you to check out this book!

Nevyn
November 22nd, 2003, 03:33 PM
I just bought " The Dark Crystal " on VHS for 50c at a bazaar , sure hope the tape's alright :)

AuntiePam
November 22nd, 2003, 06:56 PM
It's available on DVD now too. I have it but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

I need to not be alone, and since hubby doesn't like fantasy, I'm waiting for my kids to visit over the holidays.

That was one scary movie! Gave me nightmares, and I think I was in my 40's when it first came out.

No kiddies, you don't outgrow nightmares.

Zsinj
November 23rd, 2003, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean Auntie Pam! When I first watched that movie as a wee lad, the Skeksis scared the crap out of me! Especially the Chancellor that talked/acted like Gollum from LOTR when he was cast out of the dark fortress by the Skeksi Overlord. You know, the one that went around making that annoying "Hyrrrmmm! Hyrrrmmm!" sound, and also said "We help Gelflings, yes? We be friends with Gelflings, hmm? Please Gelflings, please?!! Nice Gelflings!!"

Anyway, I was wondering about another one of my favorite Jim Henson-produced fantasy movies, "The Labyrinth". Did Brian Froud do concept artwork for that one as well?

AuntiePam
November 23rd, 2003, 09:11 PM
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0296612/

Looks like he did.

If the url doesn't work, I went to www.imdb.com (the best source for all kinds of movie and TV info) and did a search on his name.