PDA

View Full Version : Posting Stories

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

tingmakpuk
November 24th, 2003, 06:29 PM
I've read that you should never post your work on the internet because publishers will consider internet posting a 'first serial rights' publication.

Am I missing something, or are people only posting things they do not hope to sell?

milamber_reborn
November 24th, 2003, 08:04 PM
If you only post one or two chapters of a novel, then no problem.

Posting short stories is a little different. However, what are the chances of a publisher you want to submit to actually seeing it online? Pretty slim. Also, if you are getting critiques, then the piece in question is most likely not quite the same yet-to-be-polished piece you will be submitting to magazines.

In other words, I wouldn't worry too much.

Sammie
November 25th, 2003, 06:22 AM
The other thing is that if you get an offer of publication for something that is online, you only have to ask us and we will remove it for you. We have done this in the past for members.

mistri
November 25th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Removing a story from the net makes no difference whatsoever. The story has still been published, you've still lost first rights.

However, there are still cases of some (rare) publishers buying things even though they know said item has already been on the net. On the other hand, if by posting a story on the net meant there was even a slight risk that a publisher wouldn't want it, I wouldn't do it. It's up to you, you have to weigh up the risks and decide what you want.

If you post stuff on the net, I would only advise posting draft material in password only/membership only spaces. For example, the crit forums at www.fmwriters.com won't let you read them unless you're a member. Consequently such work has not lost its first rights. Here, it has.

It doesn't mean that the service provided here isn't valuable to many. But if you want to sell the story, I personally wouldn't risk putting it here. There are many safer options for critique on the net. If you just want to have a story in a place where you know others will see it - then great - put it here, or anywhere else on line.