PDA

View Full Version : The few good fantasy movies from thehistory of movies up to the 80's/early, mid 90's

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj
November 27th, 2003, 11:43 AM
In my opinion, the fantasy movies are doing really great currently, with all the cool technology and stuff, but let's go back in time to the golden era of cheesy/ just plain badly made fantasy movies, which was, of course, the eighties and early nineties. Let's face it folks, back then, most of the fantasy movies just plain sucked. There were only a few gems amongst all the crap. So I was wondering, out of all the bad fantasy movies that were out there at the time, what fantasy movies did you think were good? By the way, it doesn't have to be in the 80's/ early and mid 90's era, it can be in the decades before that, all the way back to the history of filmmaking, just don't go over the early and mid 90's. They can also be animated, if you like,

Here's my list:

Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Red Sonja
Kull the Conqueror
The Neverending Story
The Chronicles of Narnia
Dragonslayer
Ladyhawke
Excalibur
The Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
Clash of the Titans and all the Ray Harryhausen movies
Krull (kind of a guilty pleasure there :) )
Aladdin
Aladdin: The Return of Jafar (both could have done without the stupid musical fluff!)
The Black Cauldron
The Disney short movie: Night on Bald Mountain
Disney's Hercules
Disney's Mulan (absolutely hated Donny Osmond, though!)
The Journey to the Center of the Earth (the one version where the villain was a Darth Vader-like guy
Highlander
The Princess Bride
Army of Darkness
The Indiana Jones Trilogy (I guess it would be considered fantay,with all the supernatural happenings in it)
Big Trouble, Little China
Willow
Dragonheart
The Longships
The Jungle Book (Disney's live action one)
The Messenger (some fantasy elements in there)

Oorag
November 27th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Don't forget Legend.

Zsinj
November 27th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Blech! Hate to offend you, but I absolutely hated that movie.

"And the Horseman arose from the dead
To serve the old witch who took off his head
But she held on to his soul too long
And the evil must now be undone." -Pyramaze

Bond
November 28th, 2003, 12:45 AM
What do you consider fantasy? Some of these are classified somewhat differently but hard to say they aren't fantasy. Some are extremely good.

Topper
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
The Devil and Daniel Webster
The Devil and Miss Jones
Heaven Can Wait (1944)
Portrait of Jennie
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
The Picture of Dorian Gray
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Snow White
Sleeping Beauty
Fantasia
Alice in Wonderland
Mary Poppins
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
The Absent-Minded Professor
The Love Bug
The Sword in the Stone
The Year Without a Santa Claus

Eurytus
November 28th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Now one of the worst has got to be Hawk the Slayer. I mean Jack Palance's acting in that is some of the cheesiest ever. The plot could be written on the back of a stamp in marker pen and the Elf character! The ELF CHARACTER!!
Anyone who complains about Orlando Bloom should think themselves very lucky indeed. Here is what could have been.
The method Hawk uses for collecting his band of warriors is impressively cheap. He sits inside a couple of hula hoops (not the crisps though that might have been an improvement!) and teleports to pick each of them.
Forget LOTR and half a book to gather a fellowship, here its done in 10 minutes of screen time.

But even better has to be The Sword and the Sorceror. Anyone who hasn't seen it go and buy it on DVD now. This classic features a sword that has three, count them, three blades. Now that alone would be impressive but get this, the outer two fire like missles.

This raises some questions of course. What method is used to fire them? Compressed gas? And has does one recharge it? How does one get replacement blades? Early on the hero shoots both and doesn't retrieve them. Yet latter on they are back.

Not only that but the hero is later crucified and manages to pull his hands (which have been nailed with 6 inch nails) free. He is rock!

Honestly see it.

And who can forget the Beastmaster. Has there ever been a better fantasy line spoken than, "I am Dar".
Somehow it sums up exactly why so much of the public looks down on the Fantasy genre.
And yet who canot love a Polecat who saves the day by biting a guard in the balls?

And the bad guy is Rip Torn. Is there a better name for a bad guy? And thats the actors name!!
Jesus.

Classics all but just the same I am glad that LOTR has brought redemption.
But one only needs to look at the recent Dungeons and Dragons film to see that regression is only one step (and Bruce Payne) away.

Zsinj
November 28th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Oorag, well, the kind of fantasy I'm talking about is the swords-and-sorcery/epic fantasy type stuff.

"And the Horseman arose from the dead
To serve the old witch who took off his head
But she held on to his soul too long
And the evil must now be undone." -Pyramaze

Oorag
November 30th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Regarding Legend, I find the movie a bit too earnestly storybook fantasy for my taste, but Tim Curry's demon was classic. Still, it's probably the most "fantasy" of any big budget live-action movie, so it at least deserved mention.

Also, I don't remember that the bad guy in Beastmaster was Rip Torn! Now that is funny!

Zsinj
November 30th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah, the Lord of Darkness character was pretty darn impressive!I remember it scared the crap out of me when I was a little kid!

Evil Agent
December 1st, 2003, 07:40 PM
Okay, I didn't remember the Rip Torn thing either. That IS hilarious... but also disturbing! I was going to say that I remember that being a cool movie... but maybe not!

As for The Sword and the Sorcerer, are you being sarcastic? Sounds pretty bad! Should I actually rent it?

Eurytus
December 2nd, 2003, 03:07 AM
Should you rent it? Definitely!! It IS pretty bad but it is also truly a movie that has to be seen to be believed. I mean, come on! A three-bladed sword. One that shoots the outer two blades like missiles!
Now thatís what an imagination is all about!