PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the hardest, most frustrating video/computer games you ever played?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Zsinj
November 30th, 2003, 09:11 PM
We all have played them before, games that make us shake our fists at the screen, throw down our controllers in anger, scream at the telvevision/computer. Some of the greatest games that we love have even done this to us, so my question to you is, what are some of the hardest, toughest, nailbiting, cuss-at-the-screen, aggravating video games you have ever played.
Here's my list:

Star Wars X-Wing Alliance
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (for computer)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Star Wars Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars TIE Fighter
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Mission: Impossible
Half-Life
The Hugo Trilogy (remember those?)
The Mega Man Series
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
The Original Wolfenstein 3-D
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Medal of Honor
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Bros. 3
Diablo II (Curse Andariel!!)
The Sims (This is the one of the few video/computer games I've ever played that I actually disliked. I simply don't have the patience for it!)
The Indiana Jones Trilogy (SNES Verison)
All the Star Wars games on the SNES
All the Battletoads games (I just hate those infernal motorbikes!)
All the Tomb Raider games (Hate 'em! Hate 'em! Hate 'em!)
Resident Evil II (Does anyone else besides me despise those freaks that drop down from the ceiling?!)
Starcraft
Tzar: The Burden of the Crown
Baldur's Gate
The Final Fantasy Series
Lufia
Phantasia

They're tons more, I just can't think of them all right now. I'll have to get back to you on this.

Ouroboros
December 1st, 2003, 07:34 AM
Chuckie Egg on the Amstrad 6128+ (There was NO room for error in those jumps from platform to platform and you're effectively a helpless unnarmed bird being mercilessly chased by the enemy. Terrible collision detection and the fact that it took ages to load the bloody thing made it all the worse)

kater
December 1st, 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Zsinj
We all have played them before, games that make us shake our fists at the screen, throw down our controllers in anger, scream at the telvevision/computer. Some of the greatest games that we love have even done this to us, so my question to you is, what are some of the hardest, toughest, nailbiting, cuss-at-the-screen, aggravating video games you have ever played.
Here's my list:

Star Wars X-Wing Alliance
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (for computer)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Star Wars Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars TIE Fighter
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Mission: Impossible
Half-Life
The Hugo Trilogy (remember those?)
The Mega Man Series
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
The Original Wolfenstein 3-D
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Medal of Honor
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Bros. 3
Diablo II (Curse Andariel!!)
The Sims (This is the one of the few video/computer games I've ever played that I actually disliked. I simply don't have the patience for it!)
The Indiana Jones Trilogy (SNES Verison)
All the Star Wars games on the SNES
All the Battletoads games (I just hate those infernal motorbikes!)
All the Tomb Raider games (Hate 'em! Hate 'em! Hate 'em!)
Resident Evil II (Does anyone else besides me despise those freaks that drop down from the ceiling?!)
Starcraft
Tzar: The Burden of the Crown
Baldur's Gate
The Final Fantasy Series
Lufia
Phantasia

They're tons more, I just can't think of them all right now. I'll have to get back to you on this.

LOL - you're just not very good at games by the looks of things :D

Dominus
December 1st, 2003, 01:24 PM
Heh, I'm going to agree with Kater there. :D

The original Mario for the original Game Boy, I think it's the only game I've actually tried to beat that I couldn't. :(

Bear
December 1st, 2003, 01:55 PM
Games that left me pretty frustrated:

Ghosts and Goblins - nintendo (still can't beat this one).
Vagrant Story - ps1 (I did beat it, but I broke a control in the process ... good game though).
Pulstar - NeoGeo CD (I've never met anyone who beat this game. Not entirely sure it's possible).
Mega Man 1 - Nintendo (holy crap this game is tough).
Ninja Turtles 1 - Nintendo (holy crap again!)
Contra Hardcore - Sega Genisis (after months of practice, I made it to the final stage, only to die from one measley bullet).
R-type Delta - ps1 (never did beat the final stage ... it's hard as can be).

I beat most of the games I play, but some of these were just beyond me.

Iskaral Pust
December 1st, 2003, 01:57 PM
F-Zero GX, Viewtiful Joe, Sheep Dod and Wolf, Orcarina of Time (that damm Water Temple) and Super Ghouls and Ghosts are the hardest games I can think of, but I love the challenge.

Shehzad
December 1st, 2003, 07:33 PM
I've had immense trouble with Age of Wonders 2: The Wizard's Throne recently. Just been brutally stuck at the 3rd-last level. Darn! In the distant past I borrowed Al-Qadim: the Genie's Curse from a friend and was stuck short of the final boss battle. In the days before online cheats were widely available, that was the kiss of death and I returned it unfinished.

I've actually finished all the games on Zsinj's list that I've played. TIE Fighter is one of my all-time faves, and I used to fancy myself a crack pilot, having finished it at the toughest difficulty level, flying with the mouse, no less. One of the X-Wing levels was fairly tough, and I couldn't complete it without getting help. I did finish Wolf 3D fairly easily, and Diablo II with several characters.

Still playing Baldur's Gate (bought it off the bargain bin)...

Zsinj
December 1st, 2003, 07:48 PM
I agree with Bear and Israkul, Viewtiful Joe and the Contra series were indeed very hard games, but very fun nevertheless.

Shehzad, Baldur's Gate has to be one of my favorite games out there. The thing that aggravates me about it is that it doesn't really tell you where in the freakin' heck you're supposed to go on the map!

And Kater, it's not that I'm not very good at playing video/computer games, in fact I'm quite good at most of them, and have gotten really far, it's just that some levels are so darn hard!

I've remembered a couple more video/computer games that were hard, by the way:

Batman (NES version)
Bionic Commando (NES version)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (SNES Version, which was a ripoff of the Castlevania series, IMO)
Spiderman and the Return of the Sinister Six (gameboy)

milamber_reborn
December 1st, 2003, 11:47 PM
All of my beloved adventure games. Especially before 4 years ago when I didn't have the internet, and therefore limited access to walkthroughs.

Twelve
December 2nd, 2003, 04:09 AM
I really wish Final Fantasy was MORE difficult, Zsinj.