SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Calis
December 1st, 2003, 05:34 AM
Hey all
I am new here, just found this website, seems very interesting.

anyway i love reading and like reading Fantasy books, i have read most of Feist work and i havent read much else, i tried an eddings but couldnt get into it.

can anyone recommend any other good authors?

also i plan on writing a fantasy book (of course i am trying) and keep writing down the plot and editing and rethinking,but how the hell does anyone think of a good name for the main character? i cant think of one and it really frustrates me.

anyway i am from Australia to, so if anyone else is, gimme a buzz

Rocket Sheep
December 1st, 2003, 06:51 AM
BUZZZZZZZZ!

Welcome Jimmy the Hand. Not in the Footscray mafia are you? ;)

There is an 'introduce yourself' thread in General Discussion but we can help you with your writing questions here.

Have you found any of those wonderful name generators on the net? There are some specifically for fantasy but I've lost the links. I don't use them anyway. I suppose I just keep an ear out for odd names, sometimes I try one and then try another.

I don't read much historical fantasy... but if you are looking toward modern/urban fantasy you could try Gaiman.

Good luck and happy writing.

Calis
December 1st, 2003, 06:55 AM
lol
nah not a footscray mafia member.

more like a broady member. lol :rolleyes:

thanks

neha
December 1st, 2003, 08:55 AM
hey! welcome here....well it is strange welcoming someone when you yourself are so new:)
Neways....well I have found the place quite joyful....and hope same for you....

So warm welcome to ya and Good Luck!

Lucky Joe
December 2nd, 2003, 06:56 AM
Welcome - it's been so long since I was last here I almost feel new myself:D

As for coming up with names I've got a few methods I try - I've never tried the online generators but a lot of people seem to like them - I either just try and make soimething up, literally just jotting down combinations of letters until i come up with something, or I think about my characters personality or purpose, come up with a few related words and mix them around until I get something suitable.

Plus I've got a lot of old writing that I'll never do anything with so now and again I trawl through that until I find something I can use.

Calis
December 2nd, 2003, 07:08 AM
i looked at some name generators and geez they are shocking.
i seriously think they are random letters. some dont even have vowels in them.

i can do that. "sdfwert" theres one name for a generator.

but it is hard to think of names. i may just use boring name. how about Lance, Lance of Lance....hmm i think not.

Rocket Sheep
December 2nd, 2003, 08:09 AM
Lance Alot? Lance Aboil? Lance Link? :D

milamber_reborn
December 2nd, 2003, 11:42 PM
I've got pages full of names for characters and places. They pop into my head, or I use TV/Movie credits etc.

Still hard to find the perfect name every time, but I've got a lot to choose from now.

Calis
December 3rd, 2003, 12:54 AM
i like names that are different, such as Cloud or Squall from Final Fantasies, rather then normal names such as Robert, William etc.

kahnovitch
December 3rd, 2003, 09:30 AM
This is a wierd one, but I played a lot of football manager type games on various computers over the years, and these are great for finding unusual names as the players come from all over the world.