View Full Version : Help me brainstorm

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Drew
December 2nd, 2003, 10:05 PM
I have never been good at brainstorming, so I think maybe you guys can help.

First off, I was working on a story, got a couple of chapters in, and it just wasn't working out. I think you all know the feeling. So I have been in the brainstorming state for a little bit trying to rework the story a little bit and make it a little better. I think I am on the right track but I am hitting a wall here involving the motive of one of my characters, a pretty important character to boot, so please try and help me out.

If my idea is pure crap, tell me. Tell me what you like a dislike, and feel free to be brutally honest. :D

Here is the idea so far:

Ethan Andrews is a paranormal private detective. He is contacted by a mysterious anonymous source who offers him a job and promises that this case will hold some of the very truths he has been searching for. The case becomes an obsession and our hero even finds powers buried deep within himself, psychic powers that further fuel his desire to bring the case to a close.

Very, very basic concept right now, I know. Still brainstorming some details. Anyway, here is my wall. What is the motive of the anonymous client? What does he have to gain from assigning our detective this mission? And furthermore, what are the specifics of the mission-what is the goal?

Lots of questions, I am hoping you guys can work a little muse magic and give me some inspiration and help me further brainstorm the idea before I take it to Microsoft Word.

Thanks in advacne for always being so helpful and (in my opinion) the best writing forum out there! :)

milamber_reborn
December 2nd, 2003, 11:37 PM
Maybe he is part of an underground group of psychics who don't want their secret leaked out into the public (so they don't become seen as 'freaks'). He wants the case closed to protect their secret.

Leaves you open to end it a few different ways.

Calis
December 3rd, 2003, 12:58 AM
the concept is good.
a paranormal private dick, interesting

i can see where your stuck though.

Erebus
December 3rd, 2003, 02:48 AM
Hi Drew,

Deja vu?

Is this a progression fo the idea we all discussed with you HERE (http://www.sffworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6811&pagenumber=1), or is it something different again?

Dawnstorm
December 3rd, 2003, 11:57 AM
Perhaps he's suffering from multi-personality-syndrome, and one of his personalities assigns another one of his personalities (the detective) that task as therapy?

Sorry... :cool:

Drew
December 3rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Erebus
Hi Drew,

Deja vu?

Is this a progression fo the idea we all discussed with you HERE (http://www.sffworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6811&pagenumber=1), or is it something different again?

Yes, I knew someone would find it. Hehe.

I thought it deserved a new post as sometimes people don't respond as well to an older post being bumped again.

Keep the ideas coming, I am taking them into consideration.

Beetle
December 3rd, 2003, 09:28 PM
Just an idea...since he is a paranormal detective and has new found psychic talents, maybe this anonymous client is really someone from the other side...you know...dead! Perhaps this is someone that was murdered and wants his/her murder solved and the only way he/she can communicate is through someone with a gift for this kind of thing.

Can't decide if this ghostly client should be revealed early or late in the story though. Might make for a good twist in the end...somewhere along the lines of the shocker at the end of "Sixth Sense." Good luck!

Calis
December 3rd, 2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Beetle
Might make for a good twist in the end...somewhere along the lines of the shocker at the end of "Sixth Sense." Good luck!
that it would

you know a friend of mine told me the ending of the sixth sense before i saw it. so i knew what was happening during the whole movie.

Drew
December 3rd, 2003, 09:45 PM
After some consideration, I have decided to make it two detectives. Two friends, paranormal detectives, and the story will follow both of them together and possible seperated for some portions of the story. From my past writing and reading, stories are almost always better with more than one main character. Now, should both of them be psychic? I mean, what are the odds that they would both be? Hm... need a little more brainstorming in this respect. What do you guys think?

Also, the idea of someone from the other side is interesting. But I still lack a motivation. Why would a detective take on a case with no compensation-I mean how would the ghost pay them? Hm... maybe with a hidden stash of treasure from their living days? This is a good idea, and I will take it into some good consideration. I was thinking of something along the lines of this where their client was more than a mere mortal.

Maybe I need to give a little more background. The detectives are looking for the origin of such paranormal activities, not just solving cases as they come up. They want to get to the bottom of it. Now, I was working with the idea or dimensions, the universe being a multiverse, with many dimensions. This could possibly be the source of what we percieve as aliens, demons, spirits. Sound good?

Maybe the client-someone from another dimension-offers them the case with promises that this would be a big breakthrough for them. A chance to see where all of the paranormal activities they follow are coming from. Now, another question, are there several "hotspots," or dimensional comings-together or is there one main "hub" for all the dimensions. I was thinking of some main hub, their goal at the end of it, to find the dimensional hub. Sound good or am I just rambling now?

Thanks in advance for your input fellas!

BTW, the psychis talents I am thinking of are maybe a little different than you guys are thinking of. I am thinking of powers that exist in present time. Such as a psychic intuition and telekenisis. Not something like seeing the past or the future or clairvoaynce even. Just a very good grasp upon the present time.

Drew
December 3rd, 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by JimmyThe Hand

that it would

you know a friend of mine told me the ending of the sixth sense before i saw it. so i knew what was happening during the whole movie.

Same happened to me! Man I could've killed him! Hehe.