View Full Version : Is it smart to

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Calis
December 3rd, 2003, 05:43 AM
when doing characters personalities is it a good idea to have 2 characters that have the same or a very similar personality, especially if they arent related

kahnovitch
December 3rd, 2003, 06:08 AM
It depends a lot on their relationship to each other as well as to the overall story, but most of all I think their differences (no matter how minor) are more important than their similarities.
Even the closest friends can have a disagreement about something and the very fact that they are so close can drive a huge wedge between them if both are equally stubborn and will not concede to compromise.
This way they could end up being bitter enemies because of their near identical personality traits, when they started out as the closest of friends.

Bardos
December 3rd, 2003, 07:56 AM
It really depends. Think on why you want them both to have similar personalities. If it's for a good reason, why not? But if not, then why yes?...

Also, what Kahn said. Similar people don't always work well together. And, in fact, that maybe interesting in a story. To see how they react to each other, eh?...

tingmakpuk
December 3rd, 2003, 09:18 PM
Worked for Bill and Ted.

milamber_reborn
December 3rd, 2003, 10:33 PM
And in Dude Where's My Car.

They do need some distinguishing traits to flesh them out individually so readers will care for them, but the ideas of two similar characters is good. Should mean they relate to each other better.

Calis
December 4th, 2003, 12:48 AM
i aint writing a comedy.

Miriamele
December 4th, 2003, 11:28 AM
I think the most useful reason to have two characters very similar is that the differences they do have would stand out a lot more. (Unless they're really complete clones, which would be boring.) I don't think there's anything wrong at all with having two similar characters. In real life, we find many people (friends and enemies both) who share similar personalities.

I agree with what Khan said about the possiblity of an interesting conflict between the characters because they are so similar. As in, perhaps they're both terribly stubborn and won't concede on the one point where they disagree. Or perhaps they're both very passive and so the arguement never comes to a head and resentments are left smouldering.

It's in interesting question.

Calis
December 4th, 2003, 06:13 PM
In my book, there is a major part of it to do with cloning

kahnovitch
December 5th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Another point to remember is that when two people are very alike even in just a physical way (clones, twins etc) they will often go out of the way to deliberately be different from their sibling etc simply for the desire to be seen as an individual and not just one of a set.
This could push them to do things that may be considered "out of character" to be recognised as a seperate entity.

Calis
December 5th, 2003, 05:11 AM
oh dont worry

these 2 will be different.