View Full Version : Question to all you writers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Calis
December 3rd, 2003, 05:49 AM
When you plan on writing something, how do you set it out before you write it?

I am doing my first book now (first attempt) and before i begin writing i set it out by:

- Doing scenes. like the chapter selections on a DVD, and i write the major point that happens there and i will work around that.

- I do character descriptions, names how they are, what they look like, clothes, etc. (only of the main characters that i know will be in it)

- Set out the world map, so i know where people are going, and the towns.

how do you set it out before you write it.

Rocket Sheep
December 3rd, 2003, 06:44 AM
This is a very personal thing, Jimmy the Hand. Every writer does it differently.

I've talked to some writers who make detailed chapter plans. Others write a series of ideas on a whiteboard. Some artistically inclined do maps and pictures of beasties etc.

I plan out the shorts and supershorts but for anything longer I usually speed write flat out for a week or so. Let the brain run wild. I usually end up with about 30k of a story. That to me is like the outline of an oil painting or the bones of a story. 90% of the time I rewrite the end completely. Always, I add subplots, other characters, change characters, add meat and flesh to the bones, layers to the oil painting. Good novels are made up of many levels, they are complex and that is the only way I can make a simple plot idea into a novel idea.

Calis
December 3rd, 2003, 06:58 AM
lol nice comparison (i cant think of the word that is appropiate, kinda like a similie)

dont let the name fool ya, i aint asking for peoples idea of their own story, nor will i steal them.
i was just curious.:D

Bardos
December 3rd, 2003, 07:53 AM
I begin with a hook and see where it leads me. I know the characters of the begining and add more as I go. I always have a large map and, if need be, I use the scaner to enlarge and detail some areas. Hmmmmmm... what else? Oh, I never know exactly how it will end. :)

But it is indeed a personal business as Rocket Sheep said. No two writers use the same technique. Write a lot, and you'll find out what works best for you.

Dawnstorm
December 3rd, 2003, 11:02 AM
Ideas just pop into my head and evolve (for years, sometimes), get merged with other ideas, until I've quite a complicated concept in my head. Then, all of a sudden, I either get bored by the idea or I write it down. If I do, I just start writing scenes, don't bother about links (I'll do them later).

This approach, however, doesn't work. I've never finished anything longer than 9 word pages...

Drew
December 3rd, 2003, 08:51 PM
I am usually inspired by another book or tv show or movie or some medium of entertainment (as I am sure many do). I often pick and choose things that I like from many sources and modify the ideas that seem to me for the better. Rarely, an idea will just pop into my head, that usually comes later as I brainstorm my idea.

I then try and make a chapter outline. Just a few blurbs that give me an idea of what I am writing about in each section. I am a very organized person and this helps me immensely.

I rarely draw or write out a map or character descriptions (although I used to a lot).

After I have an outline and a small summary (usually sounding like something off of the back of a book), I hit MS Word and let the typing begin. I try to just sit back and let if flow and then go back over it later and see what needs to be edited (there is often a lot!).

That's my pretty, unspectaculer prewriting excercise.

Miriamele
December 3rd, 2003, 09:58 PM
Well I haven't actually written an entire book yet, but I'm in the process of writing a trilogy of fantasy novels right now.

The story just developed in my head over time, mostly while I was sitting at work daydreaming. I kept adding to it and adding to it--not on purpose, the ideas just came to me--until the story became long and complex enough that I figured I'd better write it down.

So, I wrote an outline of about 5 pages for each book in the trilogy. The outline is really sloppy and just for my own use, but it describes all the main events of the story. Even ideas that are incomplete I put in to remind myself about them later. I also wrote some character sketches for the main characters and I drew a rough map so I'd be able to properly describe where characters were going.

Now I'm starting at the beginning and writing a rough draft of the story. I don't think I could do it without the outline to refer to--a novel is a complex thing and I'm much too scatterbrained to remember all of my own ideas!

Calis
December 4th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Miriamele
Well I haven't actually written an entire book yet, but I'm in the process of writing a trilogy of fantasy novels right now.

The story just developed in my head over time, mostly while I was sitting at work daydreaming. I kept adding to it and adding to it--not on purpose, the ideas just came to me--until the story became long and complex enough that I figured I'd better write it down.

So, I wrote an outline of about 5 pages for each book in the trilogy. The outline is really sloppy and just for my own use, but it describes all the main events of the story. Even ideas that are incomplete I put in to remind myself about them later. I also wrote some character sketches for the main characters and I drew a rough map so I'd be able to properly describe where characters were going.

Now I'm starting at the beginning and writing a rough draft of the story. I don't think I could do it without the outline to refer to--a novel is a complex thing and I'm much too scatterbrained to remember all of my own ideas!

pretty much the same as me.

wordsarepoison
December 6th, 2003, 02:14 PM
I may have a loose idea of the plot and probably lots of notes on the world and characters, but I'm more productive with a story if I start at the beginning and keep ploughing through, in sequence. Worked with the NaNo and my pirates story. Though I admit I have a thing for pirates, so that could be why this one's working.

When I get absolutely stuck with the sequence, I move onto a scene further ahead. I also have a notebook of random jottings and ideas that I leaf through occaisionally and uncover litte details that I slot in.

Hellsfire
December 9th, 2003, 01:07 AM
You should always write an outline because there's nothing worse than writing a 100 pages and then figuring out that what you wrote was garbage. It doesn't have to be a detailed outline and you're probably going to add things, but if you can figure out the beginning, middle, and end you're wasting your time.