PDA

View Full Version : Greatest space opera Sci-Fi series.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

kahnovitch
December 3rd, 2003, 06:28 AM
In line with the current trend of the great debates, which is the best Sf space opera series? (i.e not terrestrial based such as Taken, X files etc)
I was going to do a plain old B5 or Star Trek one, but why not include the others too?
My fave is B5, and I did like Farscape just for breaking the whole mould of typical SF serial shows.

Ouroboros
December 3rd, 2003, 08:00 AM
Objectively speaking, the original 'Star Trek' series surely ranks as the phenomenon that made all the others even possible.

In terms of subjective enjoyment, I still think fondly of 'The Next Generation'. I cringe at some of the re-runs, but at the time ....

Zsinj
December 3rd, 2003, 08:51 AM
Babylon 5 all the way, baby! :D

By the way, do anime series count, because if they do, I was going to put the Robotech/Macross Saga.

kahnovitch
December 3rd, 2003, 09:28 AM
I suppose anime could count, but I was thinking more of the mainstream/ western offerings.

fluffy bunny
December 3rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
What can I say? I was a very big B5 fan (and still am due to the DVD sets ;)). Always ambitious- forget seasons 5 and crusade you'll see what I mean (though to be fair S5's finale one of the best ever to grace a TV show, and crusade was just setting up like S1 was, promising to get a lot better in the long term).

The current 'Enterprise' has me reaching for the remote. I can't stand the characters in it for some reason, and the overemphasis on character episodes rather than the action episodes trek's good at doesn't help to bolster my opinion of the show. That and the obsession with sex rather than plot (farscpe did the whole thing far better). It is a shame- when Star Trek hits its highs, it can be awe inspiring (TNG season 3 finale/season 4 opening with borged Picard, a lot of episodes from DS9 seasons 5+6 etc).

Liked farscape a lot, but didn't really follow it that avidly due to lack of time.

Andromeda has the ingredients for a good show, but for some reason they don't come together very well, and the show isn't exciting to watch for me.

Objectively speaking, the original 'Star Trek' series surely ranks as the phenomenon that made all the others even possible.

Technically, without the movie 'Forbidden Planet,' we wouldn't have had Star Trek (or certain aspects of Star Wars) on television either so don't start getting smug :p :p :p

Zsinj
December 3rd, 2003, 11:02 AM
when Star Trek hits its highs, it can be awe inspiring (TNG season 3 finale/season 4 opening with borged Picard

Oh, man! That storyline was awesome!

Archren
December 3rd, 2003, 11:38 AM
Y'all seem to have forgotten the late, great "Firefly." I know it only got 10 episodes on air, but some of us loved it from day one.

DVD set with all 13 filmed episodes and commentary and extras comes out Dec. 8. Yay! :D

Scarlett O'Hara
December 3rd, 2003, 12:15 PM
Babylon 5 for me was an epic sci-fi! The aliens were as well defined as humans and just as criticial, if not more so, to the story lines. And each species, including humans, were shown to have good and evil forces in them.

The sets and costuming were phenomenal as well.

Second for me would Deep Space Nine. These two shows ran concurrently in the States and had this television watcher very happy. Both were excellent shows, with occasional weak spots.

A far third for me was Farscape which broke the mold for scifi shows.

After these three, none of the others barely made it out of the doldrums for me.

Stewart
December 3rd, 2003, 03:07 PM
The 1st season was okay but once Sheridan came into the picture the show simply took off, it was simply a great show in all aspects. Sucks that Sci-fi only plays it when I'm at school.

Ouroboros
December 3rd, 2003, 03:20 PM
Did someone say 'Firefly' ?

....Love that show.