PDA

View Full Version : Country Towns

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Calis
December 3rd, 2003, 07:57 AM
Its 1:15am here and i cant be bothered thinking of names for towns in my attempted book.

but i have a world map on my desk and i was wondering, are names of towns in countries copyright? is it allowed to be used?

might find some good names in there.

kahnovitch
December 3rd, 2003, 08:23 AM
As far as I know, common words, such as real name places, can't be copywritten, as if they were you'd never be able to refer to them in the written word.

Plus if you think about all the places that share the same name, I would say your safe using any such names you like.

Calis
December 3rd, 2003, 08:47 AM
i will just pick a town i see and change the letters to make my own.
simple.

milamber_reborn
December 3rd, 2003, 10:37 PM
I use real life cultures/countries for style. For example, a story I write last week had a 1900s Russia sort of feel to it, so I created the name Ryzkov. Has an Eastern European sound to it, exactly what I needed.

Calis
December 4th, 2003, 12:50 AM
it does have a european sound.

very nice.

Beetle
December 4th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by milamber_reborn
I use real life cultures/countries for style. For example, a story I write last week had a 1900s Russia sort of feel to it, so I created the name Ryzkov. Has an Eastern European sound to it, exactly what I needed.

I do the same thing. IMO, it helps to solidify the different nationalities or cultures I am trying to create. I think it is also useful to use names and words from other languages, current or ancient. Not only do they sound more interesting, but also may have a hidden meaning behind them.