PDA

View Full Version : It goes on and on

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

aftermath
December 5th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Hello, I started writing my first novel probably close to 4-5 months ago, and I only have i think 30-35 pages typed. I still am in school and had a summer job, but is it normal to take this long or is it just me?

kahnovitch
December 5th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Perfectly normal mate.
Sometimes it's can be hard enough to write when you've got the whole week or weekend to yourself with nothing else to do.

But when you're trying to slot it in around a busy schedule as well, it can be nigh on impossible to get anything done, as I find you really have to be in "writing mode" and feel focused and fresh enough to allow the creative juices to flow.

So until we're all published authors writing for a living, it can often take a back seat to the more mundane chores of daily life.

:(

Welcome to the forum BTW:)

speculative-one
December 5th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Getting anything written at all can be a great accomplishment sometimes. But, I think you might be able to approach this from a more beneficial angle. Instead of looking at what you have done, and then seeing if that was a reasonable goal, you should set your goals first and then try to meet them. About 20k writers participated in national novel writing month last month. The goal was to write 50k words in one month. I've never been more productive at writing in my life.

If you write 30 pages every 4 months, you would end up with a 270-page rough draft at the end of 3 years. Then, you would still need to edit it, and if you wanted to publish it you would need to find an agent/publisher.

I would suggest that you set a goal that you would like to meet and then reach it. For example, if you want to finish your novel in a year, figure out how many words you need to write each day to complete the book and then write those words each day.

-speculative

aftermath
December 5th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Okay. Thanks. I wasn't sure if i'm just really slow or what. I can write close to 5 pages in an hour, its just getting the time to sit down and do it.

Holbrook
December 5th, 2003, 12:35 PM
1st novel took two years to reseach and write, still not sold two years after that, re-editing it and re writing a lot...

2nd novel took four to five months to write, about the same to get edited, been trying to sell it for about 14 months...This one has more going for it though and is currently entered for a comp for a "new novel" by a first time author....

Calis
December 5th, 2003, 06:57 PM
its better to take your time and get it right
then to rush it and it wont be as good as you like it.

Briar Flea
December 5th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Hello Aftermath.

Everyone writes at different rates. Some projects can hold your attention and are easier to get into the mind frame for, they can be a work roughed out in months. Other stories which are harder to get into can take many years and require rewrites and transformations along the way.
As long as you enjoy what you are writing, there is no correct speed.

BF

Iskaral Pust
December 6th, 2003, 08:25 AM
I've been working on my story for three months and I've writen a 4page intro. It's all in the planning stages, that's all.