View Full Version : Help please

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Calis
December 6th, 2003, 09:17 AM
I am stuck on naming my character.
i pretty much based him on me....cos its my book and i love myself that much. :D
and he is a quiet type and keep to himself, making him mysterious. now i cannot think of a good name for him.
I looked up some words in the thesaurus and the only good one i got was "Rune"

and so far thats what i am going with, and i also just noticed someone on this message board has that nickname.

if anyone has some suggestions please please help me. and he is human by the way

wordsarepoison
December 6th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Is there a similar feel to the names from his particular area, are they short and simple or long and complicated?
Does he have a title? Excessive amount of middle names?
Down to Earth or more fantastical and exotic?
Is the society based on a traditional western medieval model or from somewhere else, more original?
Anything else that might help?

Here (http://www.behindthename.com/random.html) is a random name generator that I find very useful. Lots of options from different countries and cultures.
There's always the time-honoured (for me at least) method of sticking random words together and altering them. Pen+post-it block=Penno. Though that sounds more like a cheerful, comedy relief character.
Carpet=Cairpeyt. It's a sea in a story of mine, derived from a game one of my character played with a younger brother - battling pirates across the living room floor. So you have the Cairpeyt and the dreaded Socclin (sock monster).

Steph19041961
December 18th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Just do a Google search for "names" and you will get all kinds of sites for naming your baby... they have the means of the names and history... you should be able to find a name you like.

Please don't have several names for one character.
I read one novel where the author had given all of his characters several names: first, second and last names, nick names and each character's rank. He wasn't nice enough to introduce a character as (this is just and example) "Captain James Roy Johnson, but everyone calls him Jim." NO... He never made it easy... someone would call him Captain for several pages, then someone else would call him Jim... The character's dad would call him by his 2nd name. I had a large bookmark that I listed characters on, trying to match the names up for each character, so that I knew who was doing what. It was a blooming logic puzzle...

JRMurdock
December 19th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Names are very personal. When naming a character, I've looked at what do I like/dislike about the character. What makes him/her/it tick. Can I define the character in a single word. One of the characters I've used and use his name as my handle is Maus. The word is German for Mouse. Foreign languages can really help bring up ideas for character names. You can look on the web and find a translator for nearly any language. Look up different words and see what you find. Once you find the right word, it'll just hit you and you'll say "That's the name I want to use."

Give it a try and names will start to come easier. You won't even need to look one up...

Maus99

Steph19041961
December 19th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Good advice maus99...

I did a similar thing when I was looking for a title for a science fiction magazine that my husband and I were creating. I gathered up a bunch of names and combination names using several languages for my sources. I then put these names to my friends, asking them what they thought. In the end we went with "Neo-opsis", which is created from combining two Greek root words, Neo meaning new and opsis meaning view and/or opinion.

The created name has the added bonus of being easily searched through Google, because no one else is using it.

;)

primemover
December 19th, 2003, 07:19 PM
If I have a character set in a historical non english setting, I try to check the name in language translators--just in case the name I picked for a warrior means "dandylion wearer."