PDA

View Full Version : The upcoming Elric movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
December 8th, 2003, 06:07 PM
I've found out recently on the net that a series of movies based on the beloved dark fantasy series Elric by Michael Moorcock, are going to be in production sometime soon. I'm both excited and very leery about this, because I love the Elric series and would hate for it to be ruined. You see, most of the American audience nowadays likes movies where the good guy always wins at thee end and everybody lives happily ever after. Frankly, I don't think the crappy U.S. media could handle the Elric Saga in all its magnificent dark and brooding glory.
I would rather have the Elric Saga turned into an animated series by Genndy Tartovsky (the dude who does Samurai Jack). I think Tartovsky could pull it off quite nicely. Have you seen his Star Wars Clone Wars animated shorts on Cartoon Network? Simply breathtaking! (It's too bad that Lucasfilm has to be so darn greedy as to order the episodes to be so short. Bother and confusticate them!:mad: )
What does everbody else think about this Elric movie series? Some of my brother Moorcockian fans aren't too pleased, while some are, it's a divided consesus, really, and I stand about right in the middle, myself.

Dawnstorm
December 8th, 2003, 07:23 PM
I'll withold jugdment until I know more.

However, it seems that Michael Moorcock might coproduce the movie, for what that's worth.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/24/film.elric.reut/

Moorcock oversaw the sci-fi magazine New Worlds and helped usher in the "new wave" sci-fi movement of the 1960s and '70s. He also performed in the British hard rock band Hawkwind and will co-produce the movie project.

Miriamele
December 8th, 2003, 08:12 PM
I find it hard to imagine the Elric books as a film. There's a lot of weirdness in there that might be hard to describe in pictures.

Should be interesting anyway.

Zsinj
December 10th, 2003, 11:27 AM
I find it hard to imagine the Elric books as a film. There's a lot of weirdness in there that might be hard to describe in pictures.

I certainly agree with you, Miri. I mean, there are several wierd things, happenings in the Elric Saga that would be hard to interpret in the movies, especially all the amorphic/assymetrical/unexplainable monsters, demons, fortresses, and dimensions.
I mean, am I the only one that was freaked out by that one scene where Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon, Erekose , and that one barbarian dude (forget his name) go up against those alien twin sorcerors?!! Or when Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon, or Erekose turn into the Eternal Champion?!! Man, that was like something out of a bad acid trip! Not that I've ever been on one, mind you! :D

Miriamele
December 10th, 2003, 12:27 PM
I know what you mean. Especially in Sailors on the Sea of Fate, there is so much that I can only describe as weirdness. A bad acid trip is pretty much it. A lot of it Moorcock describes more as feelings or impressions than anything else. Hard to put into pictures.

The first book, Elric of Melnibone, might work though. There's still a lot of strangeness but not too much of the parallel-dimesions stuff.

Zsinj
December 10th, 2003, 05:28 PM
By the way, what actors do you think could play the Elric characters?
Here's my list (I can only think of a few, though) :

Elric: Jude Law

Arioch: Rupert Everett

Yyrkoon: Michael Wincott (Played Guy of Gisborne in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves)

Rackhir the Red Archer: Daniel Day Lewis

Sepiriz: There is only one who can play this character, and that is Michael Clarke Duncan! (Played the convict in The Green Mile and The Kingpin in Daredevil

Count Smiorgan Baldhead: John Rhys-Davies

Moonglum: Either Dominic Monaghan or Rider Strong

Jagreen Lern: Either Mako (Played the Mongolian Wizard in Conan the Barbarian and plays the voice of the demon lord Aku in Samurai Jack) or James Hong (plays the evil sorceror Lo Pan in Big Trouble in Litttle China)

That's all I can think of for now. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Gkarlives
May 27th, 2006, 11:34 PM
As for me, I found the Elric saga to be very visual as well as cerebral, which might be challenging. I like the idea of Genndy Tartovsky handling the screen work with his sense of the dramatic sequencing he uses in Samuri Jack, but would like to see artistry to rival Micheal Whelan's depiction of the character. Maybe a computer animated movie like Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within. The important part is not to try explaining too much for the non-sff crowd and loosing pacing and dynamics. The torture that is the fate and weird of Elric.

Ouroboros
May 28th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I think Moorcock's prose style is such an integral part of the reason why his books work that its hard to imagine how Elric will transfer to the screen without it. However, I could certainly imagine an animated version, even an anime version in particular.

Moorcock, obviously, has a long-running interest in exploring his themes and work through music, and comic books. Film is a logical other avenue to go down.

As far as a live action version goes: I'm initially skeptical, although the visuals for films like Sin City and the forthcoming The 300 mix it well with green screen backdrop and SFX. That could achieve some of the etherealness the movies would need.

AJ_
May 29th, 2006, 07:49 AM
If they ever get it made I would be interested in watching it.