PDA

View Full Version : New Battlestar Galactica???

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

jrg
December 9th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Last nigh I so part one of the new Battlestar Galactica miniseries and in my opinion it look’s like is going to be far better than the original.

I been a fan of the series since my father took me to the movie theater to watch the movie-pilot in “surround sound”, I’ve seen complete TV series more the four times at different times in my life and enjoyed every time. But the remake really blew my socks of f, it may have his flaws, but overall looks great.

So how about a poll? And lets see every fan post his opinion.

Beetle
December 9th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Watched a bit of episode one this evening. Looks pretty good. Much more realistic than the original...though I liked the first series alot. Will wait to pass judgement on the changes the new series has instituted...ie...Starbuck as a female....Cylons(sp?) that can look human....the secretary of education becoming president...hmmm. I for one will watch!

user123
December 10th, 2003, 02:52 AM
It was bad, so very, very bad. The characters were wooden and the whole thing left a rotten taste in my mouth:mad:

jrg
December 10th, 2003, 07:47 AM
user123:
The characters were wooden? Come on, are you a fan, did you watch the original series?

I think the remake is a success, way better than the original in many ways, agree with Beetle in that this version is more realistic than the original, in my opinion is one of the best miniseries Scifi has done and hope they plan to make it as a series.

Davis Ashura
December 10th, 2003, 02:46 PM
I didn't like it at first, but once the Cylons whooped Colonial ass, I liked it a lot better. It was grittier and had a more 'real' feel to it. The death of the Colonies seemed more more real in this series than the first one.
I also liked how they made the tech a brew of old and new since Humanity created the Cylons (that's not a spoiler since it's the first thing that is told in the miniseries), they are leery of making computers too powerful.
There was also these Cylons that could look human. One in particular, seemed to be in perpetual heat. She was nice eye candy.
Overall, though, I felt that I'd seen this show before. Back in the mid-90's it was called Space: Above and Beyond.

Stewart
December 10th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Because Space: Above and Beyond was good, the remake of Battlestar Galactica blew. I was looking forward so much to an epic mini-series and what I got was a 2 part four hour and 15 min. movie that bored me even when the explosions were going off. It started off to quickly, you barely saw the cataclysmic destruction so it almost appeared trivial and the space combat was surprisingly boring to me (It all seemed far too one sided). My biggest problem would have to be that it ended where I thought it should have really started to begin. It was like a book where the author wrote only an introduction and published it. I thought I wouldn't mind Starbuck and Boomer being women but the change did nothing for the characters and the originals were better, worst off Apollo annoyed me.

How they could have failed with such a great look (it does look great) and an awesome cast (The guy who played Adama is awesome) is beyond me but they should be ashamed for disgracing a classic series. This is the TV series equivilant of what George Lucas did with the first 2 Star Wars prequels.

user123
December 11th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Death of the Colonies? what death. All you saw was a few flashes of light and some smoke. And turning the Cylons into human look-a-likes, that trick is so old they were using it in the 50's B movies. And yes I was and still am a fan of the old Battlestar. And I think the original Galactica was a much better, more realistic looking ship than the new one. Also while the old Battlestar was a bit hoky at times, it was done far better then that junk Scifi channal put out for us to stare dully at.

Davis Ashura
December 11th, 2003, 08:04 AM
I don't think that you need to see all the explosions and blown up cities to understand the pain that people may go through. I also don't think it's possible to accurately convey how people will react to the loss of an entire planet. I've seen a lot of people die, and only rarely is the pain of that moment ever captured very well on TV. To me, though, that introspection is a lot more interesting than a bunch of explosions. At least in this series they attempted to address that, which they didn't do very much of in the original.
I simply felt that in the original series, the loss of the Colonies was glossed over in terms of its emotional impact. The fleet went to that pleasure world and everyone suddenly seemed to be having a good time.
I also liked the fact that they made the Cylons more interesting than a bunch of robotic stiffs that couldn't come to a draw on tic-tac-toe. In the original at the end, Starbuck and Apollo trick the Cylons into thinking that their two Vipers represented 7 Colonial wings. Sorry, but that's pretty lame.
I simply liked the new one better.
But, it isn't anywhere near as good as Space:Above and Beyond was.

ezchaos
December 11th, 2003, 09:13 AM
I thought the miniseries was......OK:rolleyes:. To tell the truth, I've never been a huge fan of many TV scifi shows, probably because I don't like TV very much, period. Maybe I'm too critical, but a series/movie really has to blow me away for me to like it. I watched the new BG mainly as a nostalgia thing from when I watched the orginal series back in the 70's.

jrg
December 11th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Hehehe!!!
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031211/tv_nm/television_scifi_dc_1