PDA

View Full Version : A few FREE books to offer

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Richardb
December 10th, 2003, 10:34 AM
First of all, this is not an attempt to promote my book!
It is a request for help, in exchange for a free book. Honestly, I have never cared about how many books I sell, just that what I do is original, and enjoyed by those that read it.
The problem is that I am dragging my feet in working on a few writing projects I have on the table. I just can't seem to get motivated to do them. What I really need is some input on style and storyline to see what folks think. The goal being either to move forward, or just take a long break from novel writing.
So here is the deal. I would be happy to send out 5 or so free copies (I'll even pay for the shipping) of my book if the people I send them to are willing to simply give me some feedback via a private message after they have read it.
So, assumption one, you have to read it... and assumption two, you need to spend ten minutes giving some feedback. I don't want it edited or anything, just feedback on style and content. Did you enjoy the story, etc.
Here is the cover
http://www.equilibriumbooks.com/drakkenmahre_covlg.jpg
And here is a snippet from the promo materials...
-------------------------------------
"Varsnya gifted life eternal, heed the power of the call.
Many lives to learn the wisdom, to in the end, redeem them all."

A snippet of prophecy: A prophecy of hope and salvation. But has it been twisted by dark powers using an ancient magic?

The hardy clans of Thulistan, living in their frigid highlands, have long withstood the ponderous might of the Tulisian army. Now, however, a dark threat has arisen from the earth beneath their land, at a time of increased Tulisian aggression along their borders. Afraid for his people and his nation, one S’hapur (family leader), a stoic man named Morgan, along with his lifetime friend, a light-hearted warrior named Halnan, undertakes a quest to learn more of the threat from the creatures known as d’rakken mahre.

His quest will lead him from the frigid northlands of Thulistan to the southern nation of Desil, deep within the Tulisian Empire itself, in an attempt to unravel the mystery of the d’rakken mahre before his nation, paralysed from within, is attacked by the forces of Tulisia. Not all is what it seems, however, and the prophecy drives Morgan to risk his own people to protect the lives of his foes. In order to ensure that the prophecy is fulfilled, he must protect the d’rakken mahre and the Tulisians from each other.

His companion Halnan, however, comes to view the prophecy in a very different manner, and undertakes his own quest to save his people and his friend from the treachery of what he believes to be a false prophecy. With a man claiming a tie to his quest he cannot question or refuse, Halnan travels to the far south in search of an ancient magic that is purported to be the only way to return the k’aram mahre to the lands, a creature believed to hold within it part of Varsnya, the Last God of Creation, and the only way to save both Thulistan and Tulisia from the ravages of war.

---------------------------------
If this sounds of interest, and if you are interested in helping me out a bit, please send me a PM with the information I'd need to send it to. I'll let you know if I am sending one (I only have five or so to send).
Don't worry about hurting my feelings! I certainly hope folks enjoy it, but this I am thick skinned and really just want solid input as to the quality of the storyline, etc. Then I can better figure out what effort to put into this in the near future. I trust you guys for input more than most... and I would like some real feedback from some tough critics.

juzzza
December 10th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Well, nothing makes us mods more twitchy than a FREE BOOKS offer in the writing forum however, Richardb you are a long-standing member and one who contributes a great deal to this site.

I am looking for a new read in the new year, if you would find my comments of use, let me know and I will PM you my address.

Actually no, save your book for someone else, I will go to Equilibrium and order a copy, I was going to start supporting EB and your book is as good a place to start as any... Always loved the cover.

Richardb
December 10th, 2003, 11:21 AM
I knew the post would raise eyebrows... but the intent is exactly as stated. Feedback from 50 people you know is not exactly helpful... and anyone else who bought it lives in Australia...
So, just want to have some folks take a look.
Offer stands - I'll send you one if you PM me. Your input would be great! After I give these out, I'll buy some more myself most likely, so the net effect for EQ books is the same.

Lucky Joe
December 12th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Hi Richard,

Would you be interested in a mutual exchange? I'm also looking for feedback from people other than my friends and family, although I apprieciate their feedback - it generally consists of "That's fantastic," "That's great" ... you get the point.

You can have a look at my book here (http://equilibriumbooks.com/distant_star.htm) let me know if you're interested.

Lee

kahnovitch
December 12th, 2003, 08:34 AM
The story sounds interesting Richard, and I'm a bit surprised you feel it needs some further input after having already got past the critical eye of Erebus and Equilibrium books, and succeeded in getting into print.
Then I suppose the sign of a good writer is to be open to opinion and to look for ways to constantly improve his craft.

I'm not a big reader of fantasy (not anymore anyway), but I liked the mini synopsis you posted, and the fact that there is a face to the name of the author would intrigue me to read it as I'm generally in the extreme states of being very lazy or very busy.

But to read another writer's finished, published work and have the opportunity to give feedback is rare indeed.

If you have any copies left, drop me a PM and I'll give you my details.

Richardb
December 12th, 2003, 10:03 AM
That's it. I am basically out of books at this point. Thanks for all the support. For those of you who PM'd me and got a response, I'll likely mail just after christmas. The lines at the post office are too long now! I look forward to your feedback via PM or email when you get the book (and have time to read it).

Rocket Sheep
December 13th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Hi Lee,

Your book looks right up my alley. I'm going to be at the Summer of Speculative Fiction in Brisbane in January... will you?

Are you doing anything to promote it there this summer... will I be able to buy a copy up there?

Lucky Joe
December 15th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Hi Rocket,

I didn't even know about it until just now - I really need to get involved a bit more and find out what's going on - but now that I do know, yes I will be going - I should probably sign up for one of the dozens of writers groups and associations that we've got up here so I can stay informed.

Cheers Lee

Oh and I've always got a couple of copies just lying around so let me know when you're here. Good luck with Clarion.

Rocket Sheep
December 15th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Apparently it'll cost you $30 to come and see me in a cocktail dress... it's a nice dress but honestly! :D

Actually, the whole enslavery thing Summer of Spec Fic have got over us Clarionites is a bit alarming. Fancy advertising we would read and of course we'll be hot new writers... it's 30C and bloody humid. I told them I couldn't speak... that is why I have to write it down!

Richardb
December 19th, 2003, 06:18 PM
for the six of you who contacted me and sent addresses, I got these in the mail on the 17th. It is going to be several weeks for them to get to you, however. Thanks for the offers of help, and enjoy the read. Remember, don't spend the time editing, just read the book and offer your feedback on the content and the story! Editing is just a plain old drag...