View Full Version : Firefly -- the DVDs

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AuntiePam
December 10th, 2003, 01:25 PM
I bought this on the basis of about 10 minutes viewing -- caught it by accident, the last few minutes of the last show that was aired -- and also on the basis of fan reaction.

I don't even know what the story is about, all I know is I like what Joss Whedon does and I liked the look of it.

So the DVDs are here, and I'm wondering if the disk order is the "chronological" order -- does anyone know? It starts with a 2-parter, Serenity, air dates 12/20/02. The next ep is The Train Job, air date 9/20/02.

The air dates on the DVDs aren't in order, so that makes me think that the DVD eps are in chronological order.

Anyone know? I'd like to watch them in whatever order makes the most sense.

I can't wait to get into these -- they look really good on my PC monitor, it's a flat screen 18 inch Samsung, and they're really sharp.

Ouroboros
December 10th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Below is the order Whedon intends 'Firefly' to be viewed in, as far as I am aware. (source = Sci-Fi UK)

Serenity
The Train Job
Bushwhacked
Shindig
Safe
Our Mrs Reynolds
Jaynestown
Out of Gas
Ariel
War Stories
Heart of Gold
Objects in Space
Trash
The Message

I have seen other orders, especially for the last few episodes, but generally speaking as long as you avoid the order in which the shows were originally aired in the US (with 'The Train Job' first and the pilot somewhere in the middle of the season) then you can't go too far wrong. :)

Hobbit
December 10th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Pam, I found this site here (http://www.fireflyfans.net/episode.asp?episode=1AGE00) quite useful and may solve your problem. The airdates are not necessarily the best order, as the pilot was not shown as it should have been in the States.

I enjoyed the series and though I really wasn't sure about it when it started grew to really like it. We got the last few episodes here in the UK on satellite before most people and i was quite sad when it finished.

The film is still on for completion though - I look forward to seeing it.

Hobbit

AuntiePam
December 10th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys. Didn't know there was going to be a movie.

Wonder if Fox is kicking itself for screwing up this show.

Shehzad
December 10th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by AuntiePam
Wonder if Fox is kicking itself for screwing up this show.

I doubt it. They're probably planning Joe Millionaire 3 or something like that.

AuntiePam
December 10th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Shehzad, LOL. You're probably right. What a shame.

kater
December 11th, 2003, 08:20 AM
They're still showing repeats of Firefly on the Sci-Fi channel in the UK which is good because I don't think we're going to be seeing the DVD for a while.

Ouroboros
December 11th, 2003, 08:34 AM
I think Fox panicked when they found that they had a darkly humorous 'Western-SF-with-Chinese-influences' show on their hands that they had no idea how to market... which led them to question exactly who would watch this show beyond a few die-hards.

Of course, they seem to have been proved wrong: 'Firefly' achieved larger viewing figures even during its muted run on US TV than 'Buffy season 1' did. Who's to know how big it could have been if it had run for a few years....

I think by the time that the true extent of 'Firefly's popularity became apparent, Fox had already dropped the axe and it was too late.

Whedon comments that the problem was always just getting the show seen. The DVDs and SF UK run will help. I suspect 'Firefly' has yet to reach the peak of its popularity.

cvazi
December 11th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Train robbery aired first because fox said serenity "didnt have enough action" for a first episode. In my opinion, what gave it the kiss of death was the horrible time slot it had. Friday nights 8p (EST) on fox has seen many shows come and go.

Ouroboros
December 11th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Another issue that Whedon had to grapple with was the boardroom suits' demands that Wash and Chloe not be married.

Whedon writes that he turned around and point blank said 'Firefly' was an adult-orientated show that would contain adult relationships and that the Chloe/Wash relationship was not negotiable.

As regards 'The Train Job' - ironically, I think this is one of the weaker episodes in the series : the fantastic hover-train aside...

For those interested, one of the UK sf mags (can't remember whether it was Dreamwatch, Cult times or SFX) has an interview with the great man himself where he comments episode by episode on the whole series. Some interesting comments about character motivation / background etc.