PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner (Not the Directors cut)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Spangblatten
December 10th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Does anyone know hwere I can find a DVD of Blade Runner that is not the directors cut?

NeuroMortis
December 11th, 2003, 02:17 PM
I don't believe they made one. When they finally transferred it to DVD they went with the 1993 release. There might be something out there--a general search, even of the new 'Deluxe Limited Edition,' reveals no 'Original Release.'

With good reason, IMO.

Shehzad
December 11th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Not the director's cut = not worth watching.

Spangblatten
December 11th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Your Opinion.... I was one of only 3 Americans that actually saw that movie in the theatre (remember it BOMBED big time?) and aside from the unicorn and eliminating the narration (which to me made the movie) it wasn't that different. It wasn't worth making the director's cut. The director's cut is still good but the original is better.

Shehzad
December 11th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Not to mention the ending... the original had a HORRIBLE ending. Plus the narration blowed big-time.

Spangblatten
December 11th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Shehzad
Not to mention the ending... the original had a HORRIBLE ending. Plus the narration blowed big-time. Uh.........It was the same, they just didn't show Deckard and Racheal riding off into the sunset. Oh well I think I'm getting the directors cut for Christmas so I can pick it apart then.

NeuroMortis
December 12th, 2003, 02:54 AM
It wasn't worth making the director's cut. The director's cut is still good but the original is better.

The Director's Cut is the original. They put the narration in after principle photogrpahy had been shot and they screened it for the execs, who said they didn't think the audience would 'get it.' (Namely, because most audiences like to be force- fed their science fiction.)

The production company actually spliced in footage from The Shining for the mountain scenes as they're driving off in the end because they didn't want the audience to think Rachel was going to die and they had very little time.

Ridley Scott actually added only -one- new piece for the Director's Cut release: the spliced in unicorn footage, which he pulled from the floor of another film of his, Legend.

This was to corroborate the insinuation at the end, when Gaff leaves the unicorn for Deckard, that his days might be numbered as well--a completely different insinuation than the 'Hollywoodesque' release, in which the origami figure on Deckard's doorstep merely leaves the audience thinking 'Oh look, Gaff gave them a chance--he knew they were there but just left them a little paper figure instead of blowing holes through them...'

The original screenplay had Deckard shoot Rachel--because she asks him to.

kahnovitch
December 12th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by NeuroMortis
This was to corroborate the insinuation at the end, when Gaff leaves the unicorn for Deckard, that his days might be numbered as well.[/i]

I always believed the unicorn clips were pointing to the possibility that Deckard himself was a replicant and that Gaff had simply read his file and was letting him know the ironic truth.
Much in the same way that Deckard knew Rachel's story of the mother spider eaten by it's young.

NeuroMortis
December 12th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Yup. That'd be the insinuation. The last line of the original draft of the screenplay (which Hollywood deemed "too dark") has Deckard sitting on a beach, where it's snowing, all sorts of garbage in the surf, surrounded by the pictures from his piano where he's scattered them to the wind.

The final paragraph deals with wondering if his wife really is on the offworld colonies, and how he can't be sure about anything anymore. The final line (the whole original script DID have voiceover, but it was much more film noiresque) is:

"...in some ways I know how he felt. Roy Batty was my late brother."

kahnovitch
December 12th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by NeuroMortis
"...in some ways I know how he felt. Roy Batty was my late brother."

It's a damn shame they changed the movie so much. In the rooftop scene at the end there was a look in Batty's eye as if he felt kindred to Deckard.
I guess it was all considered too dark and needed to be made into a "ride off into the sunset with the girl" happy-happy, joy-joy ending.

You should check out, "Imposter" which is also based on a PKD novel and doesn't have any of the schmaltz at the end of the theatrical edition of Blade Runner.