PDA

View Full Version : Total War/ Recommend some others

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

DrBloodmoney1
December 11th, 2003, 07:08 PM
I used to be a big fan of PC/console games back in the day. Then college/med. school put a quick stop to all that. So I finish up my clinical rotations next week and then I have six (yes, six) months completely free. I really don't have anything to do. So I'm celebrating with buying a pretty nice brand new gaming computer (yes, I'm a kept man).

I've been searching some of the various game sites and Medieval Total War caught my eye. Strategy and RPG are definite favorites of mine, although I love first person shooters too.

So recommend me some good games. Keep in mind I haven't owned a computer since 1996.

I'm probably going to be buying some games from 1999- on for cheap. But I've also decided on KoToR and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (sounds like Metal Gear).

DrB

ChrisW
December 13th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Myth: the Fallen Lords and MythII:SoulBlighter if you can still find them or The Total Codex which is both. They be old, 99 and 2000 i tink, but have great stories and are RTS games without the resource crap.

saintjon
December 14th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is an awesome turn-based strategy.

I'd reccommend Mafia. I had a blast terrorizing the 30's in a stylish black suit, good story, good challenge, fun gameplay (takes some doing to set up decent controls for driving though). Some of the gun battles are truly epic.

Bond
December 14th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Just curious on that particular kind of turn based fantasy strategy game, what do you all think is the best of the following:

Heroes of Might and Magic III
Heroes of Might and Magic IV
Disciples II: Dark Prophecy
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

I'm not a fan of first person shooters or real-time games. Although a little bit of the latter isn't that bad. Are there other turn-based story or strategy based games that any of you could recommend?

I'm thinking more along the lines of something like that great old game Clash of Steel (1993) or Civilization II and the newer Europa Universalis II. Civ III for some reason just doesn't grab me as much. I also enjoy the older versions of those Koei games Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambition, and Unchartered Waters. I've tried the more recent Patrician II but found the trading aspect cumbersome. I was drawn to it in the first place because I like the idea behind trading and exploring, however, I thought that idea was executed better in that golden oldie Unchartered Waters or even Machiavelli: The Prince. There seems to be a dearth of such games. Is the newer Port Royale worth buying?

Also can anyone tell me about Masters of Orion II? Is the more recent Galactic Civilizations the same kind of game and is it better? How are these games different from Homeworld and Homeworld II?

On another track, what do you think are the best adventure games? The Longest Journey was kind of interesting since it featured some good writing in certain places but like most adventure games it just had too many inane puzzles. The best adventure game I've played I think is one hardly anyone seems to have played: The Last Express. Mystery and murder on the Orient Express captured on a computer game. Story was central and although their were some puzzles they made sense overall and were secondary to the experience which was pretty unique. There are periods where there is nothing to do and you are just waiting for things to happen--or maybe you should be doing something but you just didn't know it!-- but it actually contributes to the realism.

Oh, to contribute to the Medieval Total War discussion: The RTS/TBS battle system is the best I've seen when you're talking about directing armies against armies. Allows for a lot of detail, strategy, and control. If you love directing armie engagements this is a game for you. The Myth recommendation was given I take it is largely because the battle system interface seem very similar and it is a good game in its own right. On the world level, though which is more my interest, MTW seems somewhat simplistic for my taste. If you prefer a simple roll of the dice to determine outcomes because you find directing battles personally too tedious or time consuming you'll be missing out on the Total War series' greatest strength and would probably be happier with a Civ or Europa Universalis.

Keyoke
December 27th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Rise of Nations looks pretty good. I d/l the demo a few days ago, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Has a feel of Age of Empires, but, better.. Seems more organized, and better thought out.

Reviews all around the webt have been pretty positive..

Keyoke

Bear
December 27th, 2003, 02:47 AM
You want to kill time? Get into online games. They'll mow through your free time like nothing else.

Great online games are: Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Counter Strike (beware the learing curve). Those three alone are enough to keep me busy for a good year or so, if not longer.

kahnovitch
January 12th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Medieval TW is a great game for passing large amounts of time and has kept me up until 3am many a time, when I should really be tucked up in bed by midnight :o

Baldur's Gate is an epic RPG over 5 cd's that is great for your wasting life away and probably very cheap now.

Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption. Play a newly turned vampire fighting a clan feud spanning 400 years. (I'm still in the Medieval era!)

Jedi Outcast is a great 1st/3rd person shooter/hackenslash and also quite old now.

Unreal Tournament is a classic deathmatch FPS with loads of online servers.

Check out the Sid Meier games series such as Civilization and Alpha Centauri for some great turn-based strategy games.

The Warcraft series looks good (although I've only played demos)

Going back to Total War "Shogun Warlord Edition" is still a good game and dirt cheap now.

Homeworld and Project Earth are great if you like space RTS games with fleets of fighters and ships blasting the heck out of each other.
Also check out Dominion Wars and the Star Trek "Armada" series for more of the same only in the Star Trek universe.