PDA

View Full Version : Cthulu/Lovecraft-inspired movies?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
December 14th, 2003, 09:24 AM
I'm planning on reading the works of H.P. Lovecraft very soon, starting with the Cthulu Mythos, which looks absolutley awesome! So I'm wondering if the H.P. Lovecraft-inspired movies are any good. While I was at my local video store lately, I saw a couple of movies based on the Cthulu Mythos, along with one called Reanimator, and it's sequel Reanimator II, and this other one called Dagon. From what I saw, these look like independently-made films, and from what I've seen of independently-made horror flicks, they suck really bad, so I was wondering if any of you have seen these movies and if so, how were they?

cvazi
December 15th, 2003, 06:46 AM
I haven't seen any of those movies, but I heard that they were kinda cheesy. John Carpenter made 2 excellent movies which I'd classify as "Lovecraftian." "The Thing" and "In the Mouth of Madness."

Ouroboros
December 15th, 2003, 09:32 AM
The quite recent 'Dagon' springs to mind.

I can remember an old black and white movie as well... can't remember which short story it was an adaption of, but it climaxed with a giant rubber demon looming over a steam train...

ezchaos
December 15th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Here's a list (http://www.hplovecraft.com/popcult/moviestv/based.htm) of Lovecraft story-based movies. I've heard of some of these ones, but I've only watched Reanimator. It's been a long time, but I remember it was a pretty funny & campy (purposely) movie, kind of like the Night of the Living Dead series.

Some other cool horror movies you might like are Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and The Army of Darkness. They're not actually base on on of HPL's books, but there are some HPL elements there. Also, they're funny as hell.

Zsinj
December 15th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Thanx for the list of movies, EZChaos. Most of them look pretty good, nothing to shout about, mind you, but pretty good. I'll watch them after I read all of H.P. Lovecrafts works that they're based on, but I won't hold my breath, though! ;)