View Full Version : The best of the John Carpenter films

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj
December 14th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Fro mwhat I've seen, John Carpenter is an excellent horror movie director and monster creator, but I haven't seen very many of his movies, so I was wondering if some of you could please recommend to me the best films he's made?
Here's the ones I've seen:

The Thing-The best on I've seen so far!!
Vampires-Very interesting plot and very entertaining
Army of Darkness-Hillarious! I laughed so hard I nearly wet my pants! :) It's the funniest comedic fantasy movie I've ever seen, second only to the Princess Bride, of course! ;)

Kanin
December 14th, 2003, 10:45 AM
John Carpenter is a great horror director. But, he didn't direct Army of Darkness. Sam Raimi directed that. He's also very good.

As for Carpenter films I like:

The Fog
Halloween
Ghosts of Mars
The Thing
Vampires
They Live

Ouroboros
December 14th, 2003, 04:06 PM
If you enjoyed Carpenter's "Vampires" then you'll want to read the book it's (loosely) based on, John Steakley's "Vampre$". Fantastic book.

As for Carpenter, his best work is ironically his earlier stuff like Halloween. Still cracking camera work and sound from Carpenter himself.

More recently, I enjoyed Ghosts of Mars.

Dawnstorm
December 14th, 2003, 04:53 PM
I still think his best movie is his first:

Dark Star.

I mean: asteroid surfing, ailen that looks like a beach ball with card board feet glued on, talking bomb...

I love that movie. :D

The Thing's great, too. So is Vampires. Or Escape from New York.

NeuroMortis
December 14th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Prince of Darkness
The Thing
Escape From New York
Christine
They Live

cvazi
December 15th, 2003, 07:49 AM
My favorite John Carpenter movie was "In the Mouth of Madness." Sam Neil Has the best "The Whole World is going CRAZY" expression ever.

ezchaos
December 15th, 2003, 01:45 PM
About my all time favorite horror movie is The Thing. I need to get it on DVD!;)

Also, I love Escape from NY and Vampires.

Don't care for the Halloween type movies even the original.

Zsinj
December 15th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Don't care for the Halloween type movies even the original.

Never seen them myself, but I don't think I would care for them either. They look to me to be senseless psycho killer slashers, which I don't find scary or entertaining at all.

Kanin
December 15th, 2003, 06:27 PM
I don't recommend any of the Halloween movies other than the original. It is John Carpenter's best film.

The use of music and camera techniques is incredible.

I would say just watch the first one, if you like John Carpenter.

Oorag
December 16th, 2003, 02:19 AM
By far: Big Trouble in Little China.

The Thing and Escape From New York were also very good.

Vampires and Ghosts of Mars were terrible. He's got a lot of ground to make up for after those two stinkers, and don't get me started on Escape from LA.