PDA

View Full Version : Do you write in your native language?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Kelhanion
December 14th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Hi all,

I'm just about to start my new writing project and I started to think about different options. As a Finn my native language is Finnish but as most Finns I know my English pretty well. Both have their advantages. I can express myself considerably better in Finnish, but in English I could have bigger audiences (and I could get help and reviews from sites like these) and my English won't get any better if I don't use it. I came to a conlusion that it would be best for me to write in Finnish, at least for now. When I have gathered enough self confidence I could try English. After all, I think it is a tribute to my native language if I could "make it big" by using it ;)

What about you? Do you choose the language you write in by which feels most comfortable (your native language) or do you seek challenges by expressing yourself in some other language? And if yes, why?

Ciuva
December 14th, 2003, 02:53 PM
I have tried to write both in my native language (Norwegian) and in English. As I am studying English, I find it easier now to write in English, but it still doesn't come as fluent as my native language. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me my writing gets better when I use my native language. I am more secure in what words to use when, idioms, and the whole way of using the language. The writing becomes more fluent and variated. And there are translators, even though it perhaps will be harder to get published outside your own country. But - that's just another reason to try to write even better, isn't it?
Still, keep on writing in English too if you get time for both. That will always be useful. :) (Oh help, I sound like my teacher...)

Toke
December 14th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Morjensta vaan sulleki...

Yeah...I'm a Finn too! Jipii. I know my English quite well, but haven't bothered to write anything with it...except some school compositions. And after all I don't write so much...tried though. :o

It's almost the same as the question - Do you think in your native language if you move away?

Try showing your writings in finnish forums first, there are some good ones. If you get cheering opinions, then write in English.
...Or do as you like...no one is a prophet in their own land.

Dawnstorm
December 14th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Occasionally.

But since most of the SF I read is English, so is most of the SF I write. It just comes more natural. There's very little good SF in German.

Poetry is about 50:50.

I've written a faery tale and some satire in German, though.